canon t6i questions

kelly5577

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I just got a t6i.
I used to have the xsi.

In the xsi I used a red dot to place on a persons eye for focus. in the t6i I cant find that dot,,,,i see a square... is that large square my focus? Will it focus as well?

Also, I see on videos something called autofocus?? Will this camera automatically fpcus on the subject without me toggling the points?

Thanks!

The easiest way to find out is to go and take a few dozen pictures and see how it focuses.

The easiest way to find out is to go and take a few dozen pictures and see how it focuses.

Thanks. I think my issue is in new to this and I don't know how to find what is focused or not

Don't over-think it! The bits that are not focused are fuzzy.

So is square my focus point...it seems much bigger than the dot

Yes. Even though its bigger, it should be more accurate.

Focusing Squares are the hip, new thing. Both my Canons use squares to indicate the AF area or areas in use.

Maybe the manual holds a clue or two as to how to display the Active AF Area in Use. If you have a searchable .PDF format manual for the camera, try that search term,or one close to that.

One thing that will really help is the feature "focus peaking" or what is better known as the "blinkies". A little googling and should find how to see/use it on your camera. To quote 'lightstalking.com': "Focus peaking works in real-time by using a camera’s electronic display to show points or edges of highest contrast in a scene. These areas, determined by the camera to be in sharpest focus, are brightly highlighted in a color of your choice (typically yellow, white, red, or blue). As you adjust focus, the highlighted areas will change accordingly to continue to show you what is in focus; out of focus areas simply will not be highlighted."

Enjoy!

Hi and welcome to the forum. In older Canons, there used to be a dot in a square. The square was printed (or engraved) on the so called focussing screen, and the dot was the led in the middle of the square indicating, that this square was the one that was focussing (check this image). So you are safe using the new square instead ;) . But make sure you don´t confuse it with zone-autofocus (refer to p. 104 of your manual).

The term "autofocus" is usually referred to the camera focussing rather than you doing it by hand using the ring on your lens. Some cameras offer functions like face recognition and eye focus which sometimes works pretty well, but yours doesn´t seem to offer that. No problem though because selecting the correct single AF point gives you the best control and in most situations helps you get exactly that portion of your image sharp that you want to be the in focus (e.g. the eyes of a person in a portrait).

In regard to Kjar mentioned focus peaking - that usually only works in manual focus mode.

Most reactions

Back