Canon Ultra Wide.. which lenz to go with?

ztekneq

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
HOWDY! Thanks for the help in advance.

Does the 10-22 by Canon really suit a $200 price over the Sigma 10-20

I like the ultra wide look and feel. I will shoot primarily that when I purchase the lense, and print large on canvas. Does the lense make that much of a difference over a sigma?

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED. Thanks ;)

HOWDY! Thanks for the help in advance.

Does the 10-22 by Canon really suit a $200 price over the Sigma 10-20

I like the ultra wide look and feel. I will shoot primarily that when I purchase the lense, and print large on canvas. Does the lense make that much of a difference over a sigma?

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED. Thanks ;)

I just received the Sigma 10-20 today, and LOVE it. Now, I haven't used it much, but when I did use it, the AF is nice and fast. The build quality feels very solid.

Anyway, so far the Sigma seems to be a good purchase. However, the Canon is supposed to be the best 10-xx around.

I bought the Canon 10-22mm last year. I read everything I could about all the other lenses in this class. It seemed clear that the Canon was the best lens....but of course, the Sigma is pretty close an a fair bit cheaper.

Is lenz spelled with a zed or a zee ?

Canon. spending the extra 200 is worth it from what ive heard. I pulled the trigger on it monday night. gets here soon!

I was fortunate to shoot with a Canon 10-22 for one day without paying a cent and I have to say, it was quite amazing. I love USM ring focus as well as full time manual. I know that the 3rd party lenses can occasionally beat their Canon counterparts (not as often as comming short of the Canon stuff), but I just love using genuine Canon gear, it gives me some piece of mind for some reason.

some people feel they need to have all the best lenses. some feel that saving the money is what makes it "worth it" . I would be the latter. I have the sigma 10-20 and couldnt be happier. I shoot sony, and cant afford their equivalent wich is 650 dollars. the sigma gave me more range for the money, and as far as i'm concerned, a great lens for what i paid. You could spend extra on the canon, probably have a little buyers remorse, but i kind of doubt that you'll be saying "WOW, this is SO worth the extra money!"

Part of the decision is knowing that you bought the best lens you could.

You could spend extra on the canon, probably have a little buyers remorse
On the contrary...I have buyer's remorse when I buy the cheaper product because I wonder if I should have shelled out for the better lens. When you buy the best lens, you cringe at the cost, at first, but everytime you use it, you are happy that you have the best available tool.

I bought the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 lens. It's a great lens, but I really wanted the Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS. It was almost triple the price, so that's why I didn't get it. If I had bought the Canon...I would probably have forgotten about the extra cost by now...and I wouldn't have to think about upgrading (like I do now).

i guess.... i never buy super cheap lenses , but i dont buy the best of the best either, so i usually find my balance in the sigma catergory

I do that with things like filters. I don't buy cheap but I don't get the most expensive one either.

I've shot with the Sigma, the Tokina and the Canon. I bought the Canon and use it with my 40D. It hasn't come off the body in close to a month. I love the lens and paired it with a 77mm B+W Slim CP. I found the focus to be the most responsive with the Canon lens, and the overall quality of the images to be sharper. The CA is not existent to minimal and I think the lens reproduces colors very well.

The Tokina (12-24) seemed to be the heaviest of these lenses and was my second choice. Ultimately, I chose the Canon for the 10mm and the fact that I see a lot (disproportionate) number of used Tokina 12-24 on the B&H Site.

I just didn't care for the Sigma. Personal reasons maybe... I do like Sigma products, but not that lens.

I'm going to buy an ultra wide for my Canon 30D any day now. It's going to be either a Canon 10-22 or a Sigma 10-20. Both seem very popular but I have a final question before I make my decision. Does the Sigma have a "floating" focusing ring? Ie not spinning during AF focusing yet still usable to fine tune focus in AF mode? The Canon lenses I own all have this feature and I really wouldn't want it any other way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back