Canon Upgrades

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by danpclements, May 1, 2007.

1. danpclements

danpclements TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Obviously nobody knows for sure, but any ideas about when canon will be upgrading the 30d? I don't want to spend on a 30d only to have it go down in price a month later, due to a 40d coming out. Any ideas? Is there a usual cycle to when canon upgrades its cameras?

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you have something you need to shoot now, buy a 30D.

3. Ihaveaquestion

Ihaveaquestion TPF Noob!

Isn't the next big photo show in 6 months?

4. danpclements

danpclements TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I want to begin working on a photojournalism portfolio asap, but I have at least a year before I'll really need it done. I just want to get started, and don't want to be burnt by upgrades, I will end up buying the 30d either way, but announcing a 40d will drive the price of the 30d down pretty quick, no?

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are getting it anyway, then I'd suggest just getting it sooner. It will probably drop in price when its replacement is announced but it has already dropped from it's initial price (especially if you can still get the rebate)...so don't count on a huge drop.

If, on the other hand, you want the newer model...then it might be worth waiting for because I think the 30D is next to be replaced and it should be a good one because the last upgrade (from 20D to 30D) wasn't anything special.

The pattern has been about 18 months, give or take. That usually fits with the major camera/photo industry shows which are in the spring and fall...so I'd expect something new to come around this fall...but you never can tell for sure until Canon drops the news.

As always, it's a guessing game...and the longer you wait, the more shooting time you miss out on.

6. danpclements

danpclements TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you know where I can find the rebate? I didn't see it on BH site, which is where I was planning on getting it, but i saw THIS POST today, and the guy seems to know of something I don't. Still waiting on a reply as to what rebate he is talking about. Edit: The rebate is for Canon Australia, heh.