Canon USA lens

Redsand187

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, I got a box full of toys today, one of which was the Canon 50m f1.8 lens. The USA one. But right on it, it says made in Japan. Is that right? I mean, it's only 5 bucks, and I think I'd probably trust something made in Japan more then something in the USA, anyways. But is that right, that the USA, non imported lens is infact made out of the country and imported?

I'm not sure, but I don't think that any Canon stuff is made in the USA. That lens was imported for sale in the US as opposed to being sold elsewhere and brought into the US.

All the best Canon stuff is made in Japan, the cheaper stuff is made in Taiwan, I think.

That lens, although the least expensive in the EF line-up, is one of the best. Fast & sharp.

You only paid five bucks? What else was in that box?

I hope i am understanding your post. So if my response is not on the subject sorry. Canon is a japanese company, so is Nikon, Pentax and Minolta.

You will see other orgins like Milasa (s) as the country they were manufactured but the company is japanese. There are no american camera companies. And as a show of quality its usually considered the best when a camera or lens has the "japan" name on it and also Germany is usually considered better quality.

cameras and lens are manfufactured with the "made for US" market which usually ensures they are being sold by authorized dealers which get their products directly from the manufactuer and not a buying group that whole sales to anyone who wants to sell a product. An aurthorized dealer has full waranty claims. It has been said that if you buy a product with only an international waranty that could be considered buying it second hand and sometimes the US centers of that company will not honor any waranty claims. AKA grey market.

No, I meant it was a 5 dollar difference at BH between the USA and import lens. I was just wondering about that. I kind of figure that is was made in Japan for the USA market but wasn't postive.

Like Bernie said, there are products made for import into the US and then there are what we call "grey market" products.

Basically they are the same thing. The biggest issue is the warranty. If you buy a grey market lens and have to send it in for warranty service...you might have trouble in the US. For this reason, places like B&H and Adorama do offer their own warranty on grey market stuff (I think).

There seems to be a lot of people who buy this grey market stuff to save money...and there are people who would rather avoid any warranty issues and just pay the extra.

yeah there is nothing wrong with grey market the products are basically the same except most manufactuers use different model names for cameras sold in europe and japan vs the US that is tell tale way of knowing you are buying a grey market body or product. Film is the same way if you look on BH photo's site they have "made for US" film and "international" I always buy the international because it less in price sometimes dollars less. And some argue that is grey market and some have said that they do not manufactuer the products to "US standards" when they are not marked as " made for US" But i have never had any problems using what some call "grey market" film. BH has low prices anyway on film but if you go with their international film it could save you 1 to 2 dollars a roll.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back