Canon V Nikon... looking for some advice

jimi1114

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I realize this has probably come up a number of times, but I am trying to decide which way to go and looking for some advice.

I have been shooting mainly sports, primarily my son's games, for the last few years with a Canon 40D and a F4/L 70-200 lens. I have come to a point where I really want to make a serious upgrade as I continue to shoot more and take more photo classes as it has become a real passion for me. So I am at a cross-roads as I am not invested yet in lenses so I can go either way.

I am looking at moving to either the D3s or the new Canon 1d mark IV. I am leaning towards the D3 as it is FX, which I think would be nice as I do use the camera for other types of shooting besides sports. However, the Canon glass seems to be much less expensive then Nikon. I am planing on purchasing a 70-200 2.8 lens and a 24-70 2.8 lens as well. I know this is not a ton of info but hoping for some input to help me make decision

Well when you're paying 1.5k+ the extra 500 for nikon glass isn't that big of a deal right? I would say if you're shooting low light sports the D3s would be your best bet due to the incredible high ISO capabilities. Those lenses are amazing as well. I don't think you will be disappointed with either camera as they both perform amazingly well and are top of the line flag ship cameras for both brands. I hope this doesn't turn into a nikon canon battle. GL
TJ

well It would depend on the types of sports I guess.... I would assume its outdoors seeing as he is using a F4 lens with no IS... If you already have some nice Canon lenses why not stick with Canon?

If you shoot indoors a lot then I would say go with a Nikon as they seem to preform better at higher ISO

well It would depend on the types of sports I guess.... I would assume its outdoors seeing as he is using a F4 lens with no IS... If you already have some nice Canon lenses why not stick with Canon?

If you shoot indoors a lot then I would say go with a Nikon as they seem to preform better at higher ISO

I have been shooting Football and Baseball, all during the day. However, I will be shooting HS Football at night next season so I don't hink I will be able to get along with the F4 or ISO limitations of the 40D. It is the only lens I have outside of the kit lens that came with the camera. 200 mm has been OK with the DX body as I get a bit more reach.

Also, this is not intended to cause a flame war between Canon and Nikon.

Yes, the D3s makes a lot of sense as a sports/generalist d-slr. The full-frame AND 1.2x AND 2.0x cropping capabilities of the D3s is a nice feature. Most experienced sports shooter,given equal body prices, would probably go with a full-frame body over a 1.3x body,mainly for the field of view advantages indoors with a FF body. As you might have experienced, indoors, a 70-200 lens is too narrow in angle of view under many situations, and the same with the shorter end of a 24-70mm lens for basketball baseline,etc.

The D3s has incredible higher-ISO performance. It is the acknowledged leader at high ISOs,and it has a proven AF system, as in "proven". We are assuming the ID Mark IV will fare better than the 1D Mk III in terms of AF performance--the IV is not actually in circulation yet.

Lenses cost more for Nikon. Yes, in some cases, but not all. Used lenses are one way to acquire what you really want at lower prices than new-retail. There are a couple of decades' worth of used Nikon lenses available for reasonable prices. If you have never owned or used a flagship-level Nikon body, it would be very useful I think to go and actually hold one, and have the sales person show you how to select 9- or 21-point group AF focusing, and see how the Nikon rear controller differs from the 1D-series method, and see how the camera actually feels,and compare the D3s and its FF viewfinder and screen compared to a 1.3x finder and screen.

I own a reasonably complete kit of pro-level Nikon equipment and a handful of Canon L-glass and three Canon bodies. My experience is that Canon L-lenses are good optics, nicely made mechanically, but the Nikon body and control interface is superior in a number of ways. As a former sports shooter, I would prefer a FF body for use with my 70-200, 200 f/2, 300 f/4 and 300/2.8 and 400/3.5, just for the increased angle of view at so many sports venues; I think Nikon included the 1.2x and 2.0x crop options as an enticement to lure potential Canon shooters to a multi-format camera that can be switched to different FOV settings for different needs. Birders and outdoor photographers often like the 1.5 and 1.6x crop bodies because they are limited by tiny subjects at long ranges; sports are more often limited by being actually too close to the subject and having to work around the constricted angle of view of a 24-70 or 70-200 or 300mm lens in a fixed space like a basketball court or a high school gym,etc.

Whatever your decision, at the high-end level, you want to make sure the equipment fits your hand and eye/eyeglasses, etc. Side-by-side comparisons at a pro-type camera store will make the choice easy I suspect, so you might have to drive a ways. Happy Holidays to you.

I love the canon! You get your moneys worth out of that thing.
Smile.gif

You can get your moneys worth out of just about any camera out there especially a DSLR. Whether it be canon or nikon you can get your money back and more out of any if you know how to work it and know how to spot something interesting.
TJ

I would say if you're shooting low light sports the D3s would be your best bet due to the incredible high ISO capabilities.

The 1D4 produces incredible high ISO images, it appears that it will do just as good as the D3s (example).

The 1D4 promises to have a superior AF system to the aging Nikon system. With 45 cross-type sensors (vs. the Nikon's 15) it is the most sophisticated AF system on the market.

So, it's not as cut and dry as it may seem. The D3s does have the full frame sensor, but if you're shooting at telephoto lengths, the 1.3x sensor has its benefits.

Either one would be outstanding. I had a hard time picking myself but settled on the 1D Mark IV.

Last edited:
Honostly at that level, you can't go wrong with either! so it really comes down to the lens you're gonna be using! so would you rather have Nikkor glass or Canon glass! Merry Xmass

I would say if you're shooting low light sports the D3s would be your best bet due to the incredible high ISO capabilities.

The 1D4 produces incredible high ISO images, it appears that it will do just as good as the D3s (example).

The 1D4 promises to have a superior AF system to the aging Nikon system. With 45 cross-type sensors (vs. the Nikon's 15) it is the most sophisticated AF system on the market.

So, it's not as cut and dry as it may seem. The D3s does have the full frame sensor, but if you're shooting at telephoto lengths, the 1.3x sensor has its benefits.

Either one would be outstanding. I had a hard time picking myself but settled on the 1D Mark IV.
12,800! Where's the ISO 102,400 comparo? ;) For $5000 you still don't get a full frame camera?

Check this out from Canon's USA website, www.canonusa.com , for the EOS-1D Mark IV, because your statement, "45 cross-type sensors", doesn't match what Canon says.

From the Overview page: (My emphasis in the quotes.)

With a completely redesigned 45-point AF system including 39 cross-type points...
Not 45, and not 39 in auto AF point selection either (see next quote).

- All 45 AF points are horizontal-line sensitive at f.5.6 (vertical). Thirty-nine of the 45 AF points are vertical-line sensitive at f/2.8 for cross-type focusing. For automatic AF point selection, cross-type focusing with 19 AF points is used. (The 39 cross-type AF points are used only during manual AF point selection.)

I notice to the Mk IV doesn't seem to have color-aware metering yet?

Canon wouldn't have lost so many sports shooters over the last couple of years, if they hadn't totally missed the boat by not only failing to come up with a sophisticated AF system that could match Nikon's now proven (aging?) AF module, but by shipping 1000's of $6000 top-of-the-line cameras with a broken AF module.

Hopefully, their new AF module will be successful, since they've now had a few years to look closely at what Nikon was able to achieve.

It would look really bad if they were to screw-the-AF-pooch......again. ;)

LOL @ screwing the pooch and still beating Nikon. I love these threads......

Most reactions

Back