Canon VS Nikon - Nicely Please

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by bethany138, Feb 27, 2006.

1. bethany138

bethany138 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi, I have had my heart set on getting a 20D for a while...but I keep reading about softness in the pics. My budget for my next camera is $2000 (with at least 1 lens). What should I get? Please post actual reasons...not just - YEAH CANON - or NIKON IS BETTER!

Thanks!

You know you wanna post on here! lol.

2. sincere

sincere TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You know whats funny? I just realized how often this post must have been made before i joined...i have posted one like this as well..search engine..

3. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I do not think one brand is better then another. Nikon is the brand I started with. My experience has been that they are reliable. I am sure Cannon's are the same way.

The question is a personal one. Check out the local camera store and get a hands on experience with the cameras. I can suggest buying it fast. The longer you think about it the longer you will be without a new camera.

4. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

I'll chuck in some opinion:

I started on film with Nikon SLR cameras. I've worked my way through most of their model range at different levels. I started with an F100 which was a BAD idea - far too complicated for a beginner. I moved on to a Nikkormat, FM2n, FM3a to my current film camera an F3HP.

I recently made the change to digital as I'm not interested in processing my own colour, and most of my piccies will only ever end up on my website. It's stupid to spend money on developing if they're going onto the scanner and then into a shoebox forever. My photography moves on with me, and I'm not really interested in what I did in the past - I'm interested in the next project!

All my lenses were manual, non AIS, classic Nikon metal mount and to this day, nobody can guarantee that they'd work even slightly properly on a Nikon body. When comparing the D70 to the 350D, I just preferred the Canon. Also, I do a lot of portraits, and LOVED the look of the 100-400 L lens for a soft, flattering look. So, I went out to buy a 350D.

When I arrived at my favourite photo shop (London Camera Exchange) the salesman had all my bit ready for me and it was time to spend some money. I tried some different lenses, faffed for a bit and then realised that I couldn't actually hold the 350D still and take a picture. I felt really deflated, but I knew in my heart that this wasn't the camera for me. The salesman got out a 1Ds Mk II, and I gave him THAT look, so he put it away again. I agreed to have a look at a 20D. It worked, I could take pictures without wavering like a rookie sniper.

So, I had to forego the 80mm f1.2 L lens which I was stroking, and just go with the "better" body. I didn't dare try a 5D or 1Ds as I figured I'd have to sell my BMW to afford them! :) That isn't going to happen.

There's a little story, hopefully avoiding controversy. That's what happened to me, and how I made the transition with a budget of about £2.2k

Rob

5. lomo

lomo TPF Noob!

Nikon ;) becuase they done realise a camera every 5 minutes like canon do.

LOL

6. kemplefan

kemplefan TPF Noob!

you have to feel both but i say nikon d200 becaus it looks amazing

7. Mack

Mack TPF Noob!

dpreview.com can help you out alot, nikon d50 here myself i just feel the nikon layouts are far better not much difference in picture quality -that i notice an amateurs view:p

8. bethany138

bethany138 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks...sorry if this has been posted before....I will search. Good answers tho.

9. MommyOf4Boys

MommyOf4Boys TPF Noob!

I think this is a debate that could go on forever. It is more a preference thing. Nikon users are going to say Nikon (I am one of them) because it is what they know and have grown to love..Canon users the same.

10. bantor

bantor TPF Noob!

here is my opinion, go with the canon. I used canon for a long time and loved it, when i went to digital i had the 1000-1200$ budget so my obvious choices were between the Canon 350D and the NIkon D50. I spent more hours at the camera store than i can count just holding the cameras. I had my ehart set on the 350D but i to found the ergonimics leaving me wanting. So after much diliberation i went witht the Nikon. If i could have afforded it i would have went witht the 20D.

That being said (and i am sure it didn't help much) I agree with what has alraedy been said, really the only thing you can do is go to the store and hold them both for as long as possible. When it comes down to it, there are differences in the camrea functions and picture quality, but it the high end range, i found it is minimal.

Good luck.

11. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

With a $2000 budget, I would be inclined to say Nikon. The D200 is right about that price, and is quite a bit more camera than the 20D. If your budget was $1500, I'd say 20D, $1000 D50/70...

The D200 reviews I've seen compare it quite closely to Canon's 5D ($3400), so at $2000 it's the bargain of the century! :D

That's my spiel...

12. They are both excellent, it's a Mercedes vs. BMW argument. I suggest you go with the brand that a competent friend owns, so you have someone whom you can ask for advice, should you need it.