Canon VS Nikon - Nicely Please

I've used a Canon 300D and now own a 20D and never had any issue with clarity of photos. My 20D takes great shots and I'm very happy with it. If your friend has photo issues then it may be dust or dirt on the sensor or cheaper lenses.
If you friend has Canon then i'd suggest going with that too so you can quiz him for information and borrow lenses!!

Also look at the features and how you access those features. Now it could just be that since I don't own a Cannon it was difficult for me but using my fathers cannon (can't recall which model exactly) it was hard to use manual because you only have 1 dial to change apature and shutter speed. I love having both dials on my nikon but then that could be since I am used to it. Just go to the store and find which feels right in your hands since you will get used to button placement and functions on either camera probably fairly fast.

zedin...the 20D has two dials...one near your shutter finger and the command dial on back...both can be set using custom functions to operate in a number of different ways. just to clarify

Bethany,

I'm a newb, but here's my 2 cents.

I started with a Canon PowerShot back in June...I loved it (I still do, but it's not an SLR). So, naturally, like most folks are saying here, I immediately looked at the Canon Rebel XT (350). It felt very small and light in my hand, so I looked at the 20D...and I fell in love. That was the camera I wanted. This dude at my sister's wedding had one, and he let me play with it. This just reinforced my desire for the Canon 20D.

I posted a similar thread, as I think everyone new to photography and TPF does :). My understanding is that you can't go wrong with a Canon or a Nikon...both are great cameras and great companies. I also learned from here and from talking to the photographer here at work, that I would be better off going with a less expensive body and using the rest of the money for lenses.

Because the folks that I know personally on the forum (save Kelox) all use Nikon, and because the photog here at work uses Nikon, I started looking at the D50, the D70, and the D70s. Without getting into the details, I narrowed my choice down to the Canon 20D and the Nikon D70s. What tipped the scale for me was 2 things: the D70s was a little cheaper than the Canon (again following the logic that I should spend my money on glass and not body), and my brother-in-law had a 35mm Nikon with 2 lenses that would fit and work with the D70s. In the end I went with the D70s, but I don't begrudge anyone who has a Rebel or a 20D.

Ultimately, like others have said, you need to play with them. Go to the store and hold them in your hand. This is why I settled on the D70s vs. the D50 and the 20D vs. the Rebel. Also, one of the most important things that I have learned here on TPF is that it's NOT the camera or the lenses; it's the photographer.

Whether you get a Canon or a Nikon, you'll be happy, and that will reflect in your desire to use it, which will get you out taking pictures, and that's the most important thing.

Hope my ramblings help.

bantor said:
well in that case look at the Nikon, the straight from the camera pictures are alot sharper.

Check this link out, it is really handy LINK

WOW!! That is soooo cool! lol. Everybody should check that out. I tested the 20D and the camera I have now - Sony DSC 717 and there is SUCH a HUGGGEEE difference....lol. I have decided to stay with the 20D becuase my friend has one, I love the feel and size of it, and It seems to be very popular. Thanks for all your help!!!

Most reactions

Back