canon vs. NIKON vs. Other

I don't know why some members must be absent for a while to come back only to start that same old discussion which is as fruitless as can be. Sigh :roll: !
And they want to discuss the brands and can't even spell the brand names ... :roll:

LaFoto said:
I don't know why some members must be absent for a while to come back only to start that same old discussion which is as fruitless as can be. Sigh :roll: !
And they want to discuss the brands and can't even spell the brand names ... :roll:

^^LaFoto makes me giggle.^^

Heck, she's a German. She wants all the camera gear to say things Leica and Zeiss and Rollei and Schneider.

fmw said:
Heck, she's a German. She wants all the camera gear to say things Leica and Zeiss and Rollei and Schneider.
30+ years ago when I was starting out I wanted everything to say Leica, Zeiss, Rollei or Schneider. It was just a little rich for my wallet. My wallet could say Nikon F2 though. :D

I think she is totally right ... but then again, heck, I am German too ;)

I wouldn't argue the point either. My first camera was a Zeiss Contaflex with a 2.8 Tessar lens. That dates me doesn't it? It is the camera that got me started and it made excellent images. I've owned at least 10 or 12 Leicas over the years and all of my view camera lenses except one were Schneider. They were the best lenses I have ever used on any camera at any time - period. I never had a Rollei but, heck, I'm an American. :)

Zeiss? Leica? Rollei? pfft. $10 will get you a 50-year-old Voigtlander with a Color Skopar lens. Nice.

As for the original question, well I'm usually of the opinion that the question should be banned from the internet, but this time the responses have been very sensible. Folks must be mellowing with age :lol:

Short answer, no. Neither is better than the other and both are not inherently "better" than "other" brands. Each does certain things better and therefore which is the better system depends on your needs and preferences.

My first SLR is 30-someodd years old and still works like it's brand new.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back