Canon Vs. Nikon?

gamerz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just had to ask this, in terms of build quality, lens compatibility, lenses, and cameras, which company is more "popular" per say... I know this is an open ended question, but I am just curious to know what opinions users have. Before buying my first DSLR, I need to decide between the Canon XTi, or the Nikon D80. This decision is very important, I do not see myself wanting to spend extra money in the future to switch systems. I want to buy a camera that will last me 2 or 3 years, and then if I do get into photography, that I have alot of lens choices available.

Also, any news on the D90? release date?

Thanks.

Im not sure about Nikon, but because i own a canon i know for sure that they have a huge selection of lenses that you can basically use for all of their cameras. thats definately a perk to going with canon.

Again im not sure if this is also the case with nikons.

This is very, very bad.

They should just lock it now....:lmao:

SPL_R_T165126-Atomic_bomb_explosion-SPL.jpg

Yeah, I kind of thought that a big debate would be started...

:lmao: NO ONE WANTS TO START A WAR ,You know there all great and i understand where you stand,I think it really depends on what fits you the best imo
This is very, very bad.

This is very, very bad.
:)

Nikon and Canon both have great lenses, great choices, and great systems. Nikon has a few lenses that Canon users don't get, but the same is true the other way around. In the end though, there isn't much of a difference.

Canon used to have an edge, but Nikon's been making some fantastic cameras lately that are slightly better than similar Canon alternatives, but at a price. The D80 is a better camera, feature-wise, than the XTi. But then, the D80 is also more expensive. You'll find this kind of stuff often between the two companies: one camera is better, but also more expensive... logical.

In the end though, it doesn't really matter, you can make great pictures with either system, either camera. You'll be spoiled for choice with either company.

D80 replacement may be announced in September, 08?

Thank you bla... Any other opinions? Right now, I do have enough money for a D80 with the 18-55 lens, maybe the 18-135... but just barely enough (I am a poor student :p). It would be great to have a newer nikon camera like a D80, or another (cheaper) one with built in auto focus motor. I have considered the D50 and D70, but to me it seems like I will be having to replace them in a year because the technology will be obsolete.

I am a Canon shooter. However, between the XTi and D80, I would choose the D80.

:lmao: NO ONE WANTS TO START A WAR ,You know there all great and i understand where you stand,I think it really depends on what fits you the best imo

The war has alredy started, it's been going on for decades. It continues because Canon and Nikon are equals, the edge ofer the other swaps back and fourth between the two. Neither one is superior to the other, and at this rate it will remain that way for years to come.

Nikon is better.

Just kidding, they are both great companies. Canon held the lead for a while with better noise handling in their mid to upper level bodies. With the release of the d300 though, the playing field is pretty level.

Both companies have great lenses as well, they just have different focal lengths and features. For example, the 18-200 from Nikon is a great lens that Canon doesn't really have, and Canon has the 70-200 f4L, which is an awesome lens that Nikon doesn't have. Just pick a side and start argueing that yours is better :p

Canon RULEZ...

Nikon SUCKZ...

Just kidding. The differences are really in the features of each camera I guess - you gotta figure out which features are more important to you, and also which lenses you think you might be happier with. Either choice I'm sure you will be pleased with the quality of shots, and either choice you will adapt to. The differences in quality for comparable model cameras are usually pretty negligible.

Hehe... glad that there are so many replies so quick... In terms of nikon lenses... how are the mid range zoom lenses that were produced before 2000/2001? I believe I have some in a box...

Most reactions

Back