Canon Vs. Nikon?

New 30d = $700ish.

Anyways, all the entry level cameras are toys. If you want to feel what a real camera is like....

I still use a D50 most of the time...it feels like a real camera to me... besides its what you do with it that counts.

I still use a D50 most of the time...it feels like a real camera to me... besides its what you do with it that counts.

Have you ever held an Olympus e410 or an Pentax k100d? Those things are miniscule. They make Nikon's and Canon's entry level cameras look huge. I have an XTI that I rarely ever touch since opening my 30D.

The best advice I got from anyone was that in the end you have to go with what feels right.

just yesterday i was at Circuit City, playing with a D80 (i shoot Canon).
and i still don't like it. it just doesn't feel right.. IMO.
i guess i have larger hands and i feel like i'm gona break something on the Nikon's.
the Canon's (non-xt's) just feel right.. IMO.

so clearly, if you don't shoot Canon... you're not a real photog. :sexywink:

I am a big guy, and I have huge hands, and I wish my cameras were even smaller than my current gear. It depends on what you shoot, it's why I use Rangefinders normally. They're the size of a big P&S. I like shooting people, and if you point one of those mega-SLRs with some kind of monster lens with many bells and whistles at them, you'll never get the shot.

Not every car needs to be an Escalade or Excursion, not every camera needs to be a Canon 1D. The notion that your hands are SOOO huge that you need a battery grip is kinda unlikely.

Think about what you really want to shoot.

Personally, I really want to get back to using SLRs for some work, but I just can't get myself to buy a 1D - it's humongous. I hope the 5D follow-up will be as small as the current model, maybe even smaller. I really am interested in weather-sealing. I am waiting for the new Leica SLR as well, but I just don't think it will be what I need....

Anyway, to get back to my point: think about what you need. All the big brands make something that fits many needs - don't worry about the brand first, worry about what you're shooting.

I have nothing to add to this one that hasn't already been said but I always feel the "feels right" arguement is probably the weakest one I could imagine up.

That is all... carry on.

Seriously... no one flamed yet? That's the whole reason I read these posts. :er:

It's not only about the body it's mainly about the lens, invest in a good piece of glass and that will put you in any side(Nikon or Canon) Camera bodies come and go but nice glass stays with you forever.

Image Quality wise, under ISO 400, you won't see a dif between the Canon or the Nikon.

If you like to shoot in available light at elevated ISOs (800+) then the D80's CCD sensor will kill you. CMOS sensors will deliver significantly better noise control at high ISOs. So the XTi CMOS sensor will give you better Image Quality (IQ) than the D80 CCD.

If you like using multiple flashs ... then the Nikon is better with its Commander mode over Canon.

As to how a camera feels ... I think this is pretty much poppycock ... when you purchase a SLR camera you are actually buying into a camera system. Buy the camera which addresses what you intend to shoot. (As Nikon and Canon offers similar lenses and similar cameras with similar features ... this isn't much help). You will adapt easily and quickly to whatever camera you buy. All else being equal ... say you don't have any lenses, or you don't plan to shoot higher than ISO 400 or with multiple flashes ... then use feel as a qualifier ... but I strongly recommed using feel as the least important qualifier.

Gary

Just to get this clear, I didn't quite mean feel as in the holding the camera. I mean, if you're really bent up over Canon and Nikon based on what everyone else is saying, just go for what you want. People love both, and they both seem to have their pluses and minuses.

I always feel the "feels right" arguement is probably the weakest one I could imagine up.

Depends on how you define "feels right" .. I am with Canon, since the wheels and buttons are just in the right place for my fingers, and the menus have the right structure for my brain. This is what I call "feels right", and it is very important for me, in particular when I have to be fast, or when being drunk (don't laugh, this has happened, and the images came out well .... after I finally took off the lens cap and inserted a CF card ;) ).

Anyway, the XTi does not really feel right for me though. I really need that big wheel on the back. Already have it on my film camera, so I do not want to miss it here.

:lmao: NO ONE WANTS TO START A WAR ,You know there all great and i understand where you stand,I think it really depends on what fits you the best imo

this is funny, I think only people who can answer this question and, or should answer this question is ones with both canon and nikon. But then its not their opinion that matters because you still will buy what your pockets can afford. maybe go out and rent both then make your mind up! makes you wonder how you decide what type of ride you are going to buy. You go to dealerships and you test drive the car that best fits you

I like my Canon, because I have Leica SLR lenses that fit on it with an adapter. There is no Leica -> Nikon adapter, to my knowledge.

Ok, I didn't see it with my own eyes, but my dad insists that he had an adapter and a leica lens on his Nikon F2a in the '80's. It's not digital, but it is a SLR.

I'll ask him fo more details tonight. :)

Reminds me of the Pepsi - Coke wars of the 80's.

Best thing to do, go to the store and touch the camera's. Get online and read reviews. Buy what you feel will work best for you.

Oh, and I prefer Pepsi.

What's the most amount of pages a thread has gone before?

Gamerz have you decided yet?

Just to keep this one going Canon users rule and Nikon users drool!

pepsi or coke? All just sugar and colour anyway!

oh, and as for the diet versions ... not even sugar ... only colour :p

Most reactions

Back