Canon Vs. Nikon?

Ok, I didn't see it with my own eyes, but my dad insists that he had an adapter and a leica lens on his Nikon F2a in the '80's. It's not digital, but it is a SLR.

I'll ask him fo more details tonight. :)
LOL, Leica doesn't even currently sell a digital SLR, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you bla... Any other opinions? Right now, I do have enough money for a D80 with the 18-55 lens, maybe the 18-135... but just barely enough (I am a poor student :p). It would be great to have a newer nikon camera like a D80, or another (cheaper) one with built in auto focus motor. I have considered the D50 and D70, but to me it seems like I will be having to replace them in a year because the technology will be obsolete.

Hey.. save you money, buy a used D70s, and a couple of basic lenses..and LEARN how to shoot digital and you will be fine!

It is not so much which high end camera you buy, as soon as you do, it is outdated!

Each of us here have our loves and not so loved cameras...like Mac vs PC!!

Buy a good used one, get to know the camera and hang out here and improve your own style of shooting.

And then when you have the big bucks to spend..go get what you really need..not what you think you want.

Hope this helps!!!!

Reminds me of the Pepsi - Coke wars of the 80's.

Best thing to do, go to the store and touch the camera's. Get online and read reviews. Buy what you feel will work best for you.

Oh, and I prefer Pepsi.

I hear they're bring out "New Canon"...

When everyone hates it, they're going to bring back old Canon, and everyone will say how much better it is, and Canon will claim it's all a marketting ploy, although we know better... ;)

just yesterday i was at Circuit City, playing with a D80 (i shoot Canon).
and i still don't like it. it just doesn't feel right.. IMO.
i guess i have larger hands and i feel like i'm gona break something on the Nikon's.
the Canon's (non-xt's) just feel right.. IMO.

so clearly, if you don't shoot Canon... you're not a real photog. :sexywink:

I am the opposite.
D80 feels awesome (size, weight, grip, etc ...) and shutter clicky just sounds smoother then Canon.

I am not about to change to Nikon though - I may change mind when Nikon paint red stripe around their lens and come out with ugly giant white lens - HOT!!!

LOL, Leica doesn't even currently sell a digital SLR, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Huh?

Didn't you say:
There is no Leica -> Nikon adapter, to my knowledge.

I said that I was just talking with my father and he mentioned that he used to have a Nikon camera adapter that accepts Leica lenses becuase he used a Leica lens on his Nikon F2a. Why would anyone with an older Leica camera want a Nikon lens? (lol)

I think I am confused now. :lmao:

Mac Vs. PC!

Everybody knows that Macs are better :)

Lots of people in this thread say that I need to go out and hold the cameras for myself. I did that-----see my previous posts... I held the D40, and the XTi, but not the D80, I hope to go to the store this next week.

Also, lots of people are saying that both Canon, and Nikon have their strengths and weaknesses, and to know what your style is is important. I mostly shoot macro mostly because it is easy to do (for me). If I did get a DSLR, I could see myself trying to shoot some landscapes, and maybe moving into a little bit of sport photography.

Everybody knows that Macs are better :)

Lots of people in this thread say that I need to go out and hold the cameras for myself. I did that-----see my previous posts... I held the D40, and the XTi, but not the D80, I hope to go to the store this next week.

Also, lots of people are saying that both Canon, and Nikon have their strengths and weaknesses, and to know what your style is is important. I mostly shoot macro mostly because it is easy to do (for me). If I did get a DSLR, I could see myself trying to shoot some landscapes, and maybe moving into a little bit of sport photography.

I got a d80 coming from a d40, and the d80 feels a lot more solid than a d40. The d40 actually feels like a toy in comparison.

Before the d300 came out, I considered switching to Canon for a number of reasons. Nikon has finally pulled into the lead, atleast until Canon releases it's new crop of amazing cameras. I'll probably stick with Nikon unless the 50D is a full frame camera. Then I'll make the switch.

...like Mac vs PC!!

Everyone knows Mac is better than PC, the people using PC's are just afraid to admit it. I will never buy a PC ever again, after my 10 years of frustration and reformatting. I'm over it.

Everyone knows Mac is better than PC, the people using PC's are just afraid to admit it. I will never buy a PC ever again, after my 10 years of frustration and reformatting. I'm over it.

LOL! A Mac is a PC with PC hardware, with Mac OS installed... So what your really saying is "I prefer Mac OS to Windows".

Huh?

Didn't you say:

I said that I was just talking with my father and he mentioned that he used to have a Nikon camera adapter that accepts Leica lenses becuase he used a Leica lens on his Nikon F2a. Why would anyone with an older Leica camera want a Nikon lens? (lol)

I think I am confused now. :lmao:

Iron has a Canon 5D DSLR and has an adapter to allow Leica R lenses to be mounted. Of course, all manual....

Rand... I think we all know what he is referring to... One company I worked for still refers to the Windows group as the "NT" group (Win NT is long gone) and the Network group as "TP" group (telephony person?). On some occasions, connectivity is still referred to as "Dial tone". Other times the server farm that is predominately windows servers are referred as part of the PC/Lan group (hybrid of hardware and networking). "PC"s even though they are really servers. The term PC has just become synonymous with Windows Operating systems. A popular storage technology DDS is still referred to by "DAT", the digital audio technology from which it spawned. Hell.. even old network guys in storage administration mistakenly say MAC address instead of WWN (don't dare laugh at those guys...lol I can't survive without disks) Not just computers but this happens everywhere.... Kleenix vs Tissue. Coke vs Soda etc. It goes on and on. No need to strut brain power and laugh at someone else.. there is always someone more knowledgeable.. somewhere...

Heck.. I still get people referring my Leica as a P&S because it isn't an SLR. Thats fine.. I know what they are talking about. Kinda reminds me of "that" thread started because of the spelling of "lense" versus "lens".

Oh while we are nit pickin... it is Canon EFS 18-55mm in your signature... you have 15m unless you have lens capable of a 15 meter focal length.

Oh while we are nit pickin... it is Canon EFS 18-55mm in your signature... you have 15m unless you have lens capable of a 15 meter focal length.

Wasnt really nit picking as people still believe that "Mac" and "PC's" really are 2 completely different things, instead of realizing the only difference is software. As far as Mac's being that much better, they tend to crash just as much, been fixing them for 16 years. The OS is great and there is alot of thought into it. Windows can be a monster but can in the end do anything a Mac can do. Its all apples and oranges really. The point I was *trying* to make is its all about preference. So when someone points out that one is better I like to point out that there really isnt so much difference. One really isnt better than the other. I recommend all the time that people whom dont know much about computers get a Mac. Why? Because its easier to use, has alot of cool stuff right at your finger tips. I prefer Windows myself because I can get into the internal working and completely change how everything functions and works. I like the control and I like the fact I dont pay x4 as much for parts and upgrades. As far as Linux... Id go nothing but linux if it had the support that Mac and Windows OS had. /shrug

But thanks for pointing out the typo in my signature. I'll fix it after dinner.

LOL! A Mac is a PC with PC hardware, with Mac OS installed... So what your really saying is "I prefer Mac OS to Windows".

There is a lot more to a computer than their CPU. The operating system is the main difference between the computers, much of the hardware has been the same for a very long time. I do prefer Mac OS because there aren't pimply kids in their basements manufacturing random virii to make my day miserable like they do for Windows. It just runs smoother, looks a hell of a lot nicer and runs everything I need it to run (i.e. Photoshop and pr0n... well, maybe not photoshop).

Edit: read your next post. My main reason for not liking windows is the reason stated above, and long-term software degradation. I was reformatting every 6-9 months or so, which was getting on my nerves. I've had my mac for 2 years and it runs like the day I bought it, minus some hard drive space of course. It's not as fast as my old PC (because it's a laptop), but it's reliable.

Most reactions

Back