Canon vs. Nikon

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by CAG76, Jan 21, 2009.

1. CAG76

CAG76 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I think we should start one. See what everyone has to say. Maybe there is someone who has had both. Me? I've just had Canon for years love it, but am thinking about getting a Nikon sometime just to see how they are and how they match up. Im not knocking Canon, but the Nikons seem to be built better. Also the D40, I've noticed has a kit lens that seems and feels so much nicer than the Canon kit lens that came with my XSi. These are things I've noticed, but I do love my XSi.

Let me here what others have to say about their Canons, Nikons, Olympus, etc. and if you have had maybe both or all brands. Which is your fave?

-Christopher

2. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a bunch of brands, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Chinon, Pentax, Minolta and more

I don't have much else to say, they all work.

3. Joe&Caroline

Joe&Caroline TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have canon but really 2 new for input on this thread just thought Id say what i got

4. Enem178

Enem178 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm a canon shooter also but I've had alot of time playing around with and shooting my friend's nikon d90. I agree with you that the nikon's kit lens does seem better put together and solid but as far as IQ they seem equal. One advantage I noticed with the nikon is it seemed to me to have a better AWB than my canon. Personally I still perfer my canon 40d because 1st, I love the way it feels in my hand and 2nd, I like the menu layout FAR beter than the d90. We'll thats my experience with those two bodies.

5. Dionysus

Dionysus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    nice idea, but if this were my board i'd delete this post...people dont play nice when it comes to brands and their love of them.

might start out nice, but will eventually turn into an internet shoutfest.

6. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I LIKE NIKON!!!

7. Dionysus

Dionysus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I LIKE LONG WALKS ON THE BEACH AT SUNSET!!!!

8. Corbin Lane

Corbin Lane TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like canon because it works for me, It fits in my hand the way I want it and I like where everything is.

*Runs back to his corner of the world*

Hopefully people will come to this thread for the right reason, and that is to say what they use and why they like it and not argue. :/

9. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    There are pros and cons to both brands. Generally Nikon will have that extra "oomph" as far as body design is concerned, but you are going to pay a damn sure steep premium for it. Canon on the other hand I think comes in second for "body" but first in bang for your buck. That you can get a full frame 21MP camera for 3G's or less on the camera side of things is. . .staggering. Feature wise, I've always been more prone to what Nikon can cram into their cameras, but then Canon usually has an answer waiting in the wings - and cheaper.

Then we get to lenses, and depending on your budget and what you want will determine the winner here. The biggest pro in Canon's favor it seems is that Canon users don't have to worry about the AF-S bull**** that exists within Nikons entry-level line. If you have a modern Canon lens and a Canon camera, autofocus is GO! But then there is that catch - "modern" lens. If I understand correctly, Canon users are borked on some old school lenses, as Canon changed the design or some sort, so not AI-S equivalent for Canon users; on Nikons side, you have to dig WAY back to find a lens not compatible Nikon's current lineup.

10. CAG76

CAG76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah I know it could get heated. But before it does, I just want to see and hear some experiences. I love my XSi, but I have only used Canon. I am just wanting to see if there is possibly new ground out there for me to try. I know most people will tell me to just stick with what I've got. Which is the smart choice, but when I have the money to spend on a new camera when it's time to move up and I get more serious into this thing... should I stick with Canon or go with Nikon? Thats what I want to figure out in the end. I know it would really all boil down to maybe renting a Nikon D300 (Thats what's on my mind) if I can at Roberts Imaging and see if it's what I want for my uses.

11. Jaszek

Jaszek No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I use Canon because when I get richer I could have a white lens and stand out from the crown :p. Naa really i bought canon because The XSI felt better in my hand and was in my price range at the time and I knew absolutley nothing about photography. I have nothing against nikon, I shoot with people who on nikons and one of my really close friends own a nikon (even though she told me she wanted a canon because what she said is that they're better :p). BTW I also noticed a lot of female photographers shoot Canon. SO Canon 1 Nikon 0...o and nikon doesn't have this lens: [​IMG] so it's Canon 2 Nikon 0 :D

12. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The problem with switching, is you're not just changing cameras - you're changing an entire SYSTEM. It's like (well in the old days) deciding whether you wanted Windows, or Leopard. You cant just swap them out; changing means changing EVERYTHING. The biggest money sink in this game is the system, and by system I mean these lenses. This is how they hook you. If you have one lens or two, then its easy to make the switch. But when you are dealing with SEVERAL lenses (several thousands of dollars worth), you basically think "What the hell is the point?" If I were to ever get a Canon, it wouldn't be as a second serious body, it would be a casual body that I could potentially take on time where I wouldn't mind it I get exploderated.

Hmmm. The CANON is a girls camera. I like your way of thinking sir.