Canon Vs Nikon

jstuedle said:
Wow, where can I get one, I want to be the first in line when they start sales. I'll put it on my dust shelf along side my Fujak $7.00 P&S single use digital. And my 110 instamatic and... on and on. Oh I just can't wait! I'm so excited I think I'm going to pee myself.
woooo..
what a good news!

Moni said:
Thanks for you nice suggestions!

Yes, I should have clear few things before:

1. I'm not a professional, I'm a student and done some short courses in photography from different local clubs and won some prizes :)

Good for you.

2. I never used any SLR before, just few point and shoot and...now I'm working with Canon PowerShot!
Which one?

3. My budget: I can't afford more than 1000 $
it would be better if I can a good one less than that!

4. By professional I meant: I love photo journalism, macro shots and landscape or architectural shots (both interior & exterior)

5. Actually I want something that will help me to reach upto professional level one day :)

Thanks to you all again!
It doesn't matter at all what camera you get right now. Canon offers full frame, Nikon's flashes are better I keep hearing. Canon SEEMS to have a bit less noise with their CMOS chips... You can use pre-historic lenses with nikons... But with an adaptor you can use Nikon lenses on a canon too... blah blah blah

Doesn't matter a thing what your camera is. You'll buy a body, then bankrupt yourself buying lenses, tripods and flashes which will keep you locked into the system you pick right now. It's gonna be too expensive to change.

Go into a camera store and get your hands a canon and a nikon. Pick the one which looks prettier!

Take a look at how many pixels wide by how many high each cameras sensors output is. It's almost disappointing how small a difference there is between a 6 and a 8 MP sensor. Read the reviews about image quality between the two cameras, it might surprise you the 8 does no better or even a little worse than the 6 in many reviews. What features does the 350 have that the D50 does not that you feel you have to have? Yes, a Nikon lens can mount on a Canon body with an adapter but at the cost of loosing auto aperture and metering, and with some adapters infinity focus. It's my opinion Nikons have a more durable body and a history of support that is second to none.Try to compare apples to apples. Compare the D50/70 to the 350, and the 20D to the D200. It is no secret I prefer the Nikons, but that's me. I or a salesman, or Doc, or anyone else can't make up your mind for you. Try to hold each one, read the independent reviews (mag. reviews often are compensated by the manufacture through advertising) rent the models for a weekend if you can and make up your own mind. Like Doc said, the decision you make now is hard to change once you have a bag full of lenses to change out as well.

At the point that you are at I would spend as little as possible on a QUALITY body and spent more on lenses. This means looking at the Canon 350 and the Nikon D50. Both are excellent in terms of performance and will do everything you need and more. The quality of your photos will be limited only by how well you do your job with either one of these bodies.
With that said I really don’t like the Canon one bit. It feels very cheap and plastic to me. I have used a AE-1 and EOS-1 for years and love them both. I am a huge fan of Canon but just cant stand the feel of the 350. This is a shame because it is a fantastic camera period. I kept going to the store and handling it hoping I would warm up to it but it just never happened. On the other hand the D50 feels much better to me. Not nearly as nice as my EOS1 did but much better than the 350. The D50/D70 still feel a little plastic, I am used to a EOS1, but much nicer than the 350 to ME. The Nikon is heaver and bigger but I like that. I travel and backpack with my camera so weight is a issue, but I would rather carry a few ounces more and have it feel nice in my hands than have a light weight camera that feels cheap. This is purely my personal opinion so take it with a grain of salt. They are both excellent cameras and you cant go wrong with either one.
You might really just go with which ever you get a better deal on and send the extra money on quality glass. I think the D50 is really a great camera for what it cost. I will probably go with a D70 personally because I like compact flash cards and the depth of field preview it offers. But that is just me. If you spend a lot more and move up in the line, they both make pro level stuff that is awesome. The D200 is supposed to be amazing and I think the price will come down in a year or so.

Most reactions

Back