Canon vs. Nikon

I probably wouldn't buy the D40 either...but I'm a photo gear geek. Most of the amateur photographers I know, who have DSLR camera...only have one or two lenses anyway...so the D40 would be a great choice for them. I'm guessing that's the market that Nikon is after with the D40. Maybe it shouldn't be compared to other DSLR cameras as much as it should be compared to high end P&S camera...in which case, it looks like the golden goose.

I just went and looked at the Nikon website. There are over 2 dozen Nikon lenses that are 100% fully functional with the D40. I'd bet 99% of photogs would find pretty much everything they'd ever need is covered in those 24+ lenses. And if you're one of the 1%, then you probably aren't looking at the D40 anyway.

I just went and looked at the Nikon website. There are over 2 dozen Nikon lenses that are 100% fully functional with the D40. I'd bet 99% of photogs would find pretty much everything they'd ever need is covered in those 24+ lenses. And if you're one of the 1%, then you probably aren't looking at the D40 anyway.

Your statement can go both ways... because if you are buying a D40 obviously you arent buying a 600 prime... so let me ask you this... because I am familier with Nikons lenses from my girlfriend being a Nikon user...

How many of those 24 or so lenses cost less than $800? I doubt the OP is looking to buy a $1100 Nikon 28-70/2.8... or a $9000 Nikon 600/4

What I am basically saying... is that if you want a camera you can grow into and not need to upgrade at any certain future point... this probably isnt the camera for you... but if you want a decent camera that has limitations and it DOES have limitations... try shooting indoor sports with it... try shooting really anything that requires a faster lens (and not spending that big cash).. then you may be ok with this camera... I mean hell you cant even have a 50/1.8AF?!?

You could just learn to manual focus. Until 10 years ago every photographer could do it.

Until 20 years ago some photographers went through their entire lives using only a single focal length. HCB probably did 99% of his photos with a 35mm and a 50mm.

If cost is an issue, my advice would be to avoid photography as a hobby. It's expensive no matter how you add it up.

Banana cream pie is a nice choice.

Do you have to manually operate your jaws with banana cream pie? :lol:

I'm actually quite surprised if none of those lenses listed will AF on the D40. ksmattfish you mentioned using a single focal length, but nearly all the lenses Orgnoi listed are primes. Also you're limited to using manual fcous with third-party glass. Sure you can manual focus, but neither the cameras or lenses are really designed with manual focus in mind now so it's not as convenient as it should be. Having said that, I agree the other concerns about the D40, namely 2.5 vs 3fps or 6 vs 8mp are very minor.

Again thanks for all the feedback. I placed an order for the Canon today, and hope to have it on Monday.

A couple of you were mentioning cost, and one of you suggested I shouldn't be in this 'hobby' if I didn't have the money. The fact is I do, just not a lot at the moment. I wanted to start out on the lower end of the dSLR spectrum and be able to upgrade in as efficient a manner as possible, considering money and compatibility between lenses/bodies as the upgrades took place. That's what steered me to the Canon in the end.

Blah blah blah Canon Nikon blah blah I thought we talked this subject out do a search!!!!

Set them both side by side and pick them up one at a time and feel the love. If you don't feel the love from either, keep looking. If you feel the love from both equally then your lilfe may get a little kinky but you Will have fun.

mike

another thing to think about with the D40 is the autofocus areas, which it only has 3. Makes it a little harder to focus on moving subjects.

To me the D40 is a great choice if you are stepping up from a P&S and aren't familiar with all the manual options of an SLR. It is very user friendly (has help menus for everything) and supposively you can fully use the D40 without even opening the manual. That is pretty impressive in itself and is a great stepping stone to go from a fully auto P&S to an SLR.

My opinion is that if you already have down the basics of photography, the D40 isn't for you. Find a D50 or save up and get a D70 or D80 if you can afford it. That is of course if you are set on going with Nikon.

If you are seriously considering the D40 I HIGHLY suggest you read this
http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3756/camera-test-nikon-d40.html

they break it down nice and simple, listing pro's and cons.

If you are seriously considering the D40...

I don't like the debate of Canon vs Nikon because they're both really good cameras, esp if you compare the Rebel XTi versus the D80. But I think its fair to say the D40 kind of sucks relative to the rest of the Canon and Nikon lineup. I mean, if you're going to buy a dSLR, why not just get one you can grow up with a little bit?

And I agree completely about the banana cream pie. Let me throw some chocolate into the mix while I'm at it. :)

I don't like the debate of Canon vs Nikon because they're both really good cameras, esp if you compare the Rebel XTi versus the D80. But I think its fair to say the D40 kind of sucks relative to the rest of the Canon and Nikon lineup. I mean, if you're going to buy a dSLR, why not just get one you can grow up with a little bit?

And I agree completely about the banana cream pie. Let me throw some chocolate into the mix while I'm at it. :)

I agree as far as DSLRs go the D40 is definitely on the low end, but it isn't marketed to people who already have a DSLR or for people that already have an SLR for that matter. The D40's one goal is to be an affordable solution for an amature photographer looking to upgrade from their point and shoot... and I think it does that job pretty well. Only thing is, like you say, it doesnt give you much room to grow.

Mike hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the market Nikon is addressing with the D-40, and it is a very important point to consider in a potential purchase. Nikon with the introduction of the D-40 is clearly addressing the needs of those who want to step up from a point and shoot for the flexibility that a DSLR offers, but still embrace and want to take advantage of all the automation of point & shoot's. If you fit this segment of the market, I suspect that the D-40 would be an excellent choice. On the other hand if you are interested in developing greater skills and growing in photography, I would be concerned with the lens selection and choices available for the D-40, and would think for Nikon, the D-50, D-70 as a minimum and I would also strongly consider the Canon Rebel.

Most reactions

Back