Canon vs. Tamron 70-200 lens comparison?

jcam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone here tried both the Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD and Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM ?? The Tamron lens is about $1000 cheaper than the Canon lens. I am sure there must be differences, but from the spec sheets I have looked at there is very little difference. i am more interested in the IQ differences between the lenses.

Thanks!

I have the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC and love it
From reviews I saw they said the IQ on the Tamron is slightly better then the Canon lens.

but the "build quality"!

I am tempted to get this over the canon big time.

The question you have to ask is: is the canon better, but is it a thousand dollars better?

From what I've seen the answer is no.

I had the same problem, but for Nikon. I rented the Tammy for four days, fell in love with it, and decided that the Nikon version WAS NOT worth $1000 more. Couldn't be.

Jake

I can see there are many arguments here for both.. I should also mention I am interested in getting the 100-400 lens and that will definitely be from Canon even though there are some very good competitive products from both Sigma and Tamron. The one thing on the 70-200 is that I see the Canon lens is both moisture and dust resistant, whereas the Tamron lens does not mention anything about dust...

But it will last more than a $1000 longer and be worth i lot more if you ever sell it

Fair point.

The point that was made if you are a working professional and use a lens everyday then go for the canon as it's made much stronger. The tamron is much more suited for the advanced hobbyist.

It really all depends upon how you are going to use it. If you are going to be using it outside a lot, like for wildlife and such then the Tamron is NOT going to hold up as well, and it is not dust and weather resistant. It is lightly built and would not hold up to much normal usage in the field. For light use, or in careful indoor, nice day use then the Tamron is probably the better value for the buck.

omg you're right!!! Even though Tamron says it's weather/moisture resistant, I noticed a * footnote indicator. I just looked at the footnote and it says the lens will implode on contact to earth's atmospheric pressures.

careful indoor use had me cracking up. :BangHead:

oh crap. I just sneezed and my Tamron lens disintegrated.

omg you're right!!! Even though Tamron says it's weather/moisture resistant, I noticed a * footnote indicator. I just looked at the footnote and it says the lens will implode on contact to earth's atmospheric pressures.

careful indoor use had me cracking up. :BangHead:

Come on, please don't be condescending.... I might actually be using the lens for a safari, so the dust may actually be a problem...

Let's keep the thread on track, all. Thanks!

No worries, Jcam; it's been dealt with. Carry on! :)

People here make the Tamron sound like if you keep the lens in a dust free environment, baby it and keep it nice and warm in cold nights then it will be ok for a year or two.
That's nonsense.
This is a professional grade lens, I met 2 pro photographers who use this as their everyday tool and they love it.
The Canon is more rugged but I think better save the 1000$ and get the Tamron, that's 1000$ you can put toward a Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC and cover yourself for almost all normal use focal range.
I want to say it will be 100% in a safari but if one speck of dust does come into the body you can turn around and blame me so I will tell you what I would do.
If money wasn't an issue then yes I would get the original but money is always an issue so I personally would get the Tami with my eyes closed, I would trust it in a Safari and everywhere else, add to that its IQ and image stabilization are better and ask yourself are you ready to shell 1000$ more on the Canon version.

Most reactions

Back