Canon wide angle lens for video

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So some know I'm a Nikon user.
I need help for my buddy, he is a Canon user currently using 6D as his main camera.
He is doing events and now he started to get into videography
Since he is not a gear head like me he asked for my help to find a good wide angle zoom lens for his full frame Canon camera.
Looking for good glass and budget is around 1k-2k but it's flexible since this is lens for making money.
One more thing, he is not open for third party lenses so no need to recommend those. Tried to convince him about third party lenses and it got me no where.

It's ok, goodguy, you can just come out and say it... this isn't for your "friend", you're just trying to defect to the dark side. It's ok, we're here to help with the process. Also, we have cookies.

If I'm taking video on my 6D my go to lens is Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS. 24mm is pretty wide on full frame, it has IS, and it zooms to 105. It works brilliantly for video. Only downsides are you need to be good at manual focus and you can hear the IS working unless you're using an external mic.

With a budget of 1-2k though if he's doing some serious video it might be worth looking into a new body with movie servo AF and an STM lens.

Looking for zoom lens for full frame Canon wide angle doing video with this lens.
I believe the Canon L glass 16-35mm 2.8 II is one option
What do you think of it and what other lenses can you recommend

If I'm taking video on my 6D my go to lens is Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS. 24mm is pretty wide on full frame, it has IS, and it zooms to 105. It works brilliantly for video. Only downsides are you need to be good at manual focus and you can hear the IS working unless you're using an external mic.

With a budget of 1-2k though if he's doing some serious video it might be worth looking into a new body with movie servo AF and an STM lens.
He already have the 24-105mm but looking for something wider.
He also just got Canon XC10 but want to use FF camera for his main video doing MF.

Love my 16-35 f2.8 II. Probably the best lens in what he is looking for.

16-35 2.8 - it's 1899 or 1399 if you decide to go grey box.

There's also a V3 coming out any day now

Thanks guys, I believe the 16-35mm 2.8 II is the lens :)

Most reactions

Back