Canon Wide Angle Lens

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by CanadianMe, Mar 1, 2008.

1. CanadianMe

CanadianMe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have been looking to get a wide angle lens finding at times my widest just is not wide enough, does anyone have this lens? And if so what do you think of it? It is also on sale at one camera shop I deal with. CanonEF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Wide Angle Zoom.

2. GeorgeUK

GeorgeUK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If money is an issue, it might also be worth considering the Sigma 10-20. I've certainly heard much praise for it.

3. Dominic

Dominic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I own the Canon 10-22mm and think it's a great lens. I shot with the Sigma and thought it felt cheap. The AF wasn't too keen either. The Tokina 12-24 is a good lens and much cheaper - if you don't mind going up to 12mm. I really wanted the 10mm and the Canon was worth the extra money to me.

4. logan9967

logan9967 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have the tokina 12-24, i would reccommend it. very sturdy feel. af is good. it depends what you want to spend, but it definitely should be between tokina and canon

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've got the Canon 10-22mm, fantastic lens. Check the link in my sig, many of my mountain shots were taken with that lens.

I've also been hearing good things about the 10-20mm Sigma and the 12-24mm Tokina. Keep in mind that 10mm is significantly wider than 12mm (20%).

6. CanadianMe

CanadianMe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the input, not interested in the 12mm but thanks anyway, would prefer that 20%. Someone else I talked also mentioned the Sigma, will have a look but more keen on the Canon. I need a wide angle, after a week of shooting it is the last lens I will need for a long time, but I do need it. Seen what I have been shooting, and a few times missed out on what I thought would have been good photos but none of my lenses are wide enough and could not get any further back to get a wider photo with what I currently own. The 10mm is just more in sync with what I would prefer.

After doing some reading and looking around I may be able to get the Sigma a few months old for just over $400.00 with warranty and papers. Found two so far and will see if I can find a Canon one used. Just at this point trying to cut down costs. I need it but not all the time and for the amount of money will look at all options, thanks again.

7. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I too am an owner of the Canon 10-22 and love it. IMO it is L quality glass with a close to L quality build. I don't believe that Canon will ever give an EF-S lens an L designation but it has been one outstanding performer for me.

8. astrostu

astrostu Guest

If you go for that lens, just remember it's not entirely future-proof if you upgrade to a full-frame sensor in the future. The EF-S lenses are designed for Canon's APS-C 1.6x crop sensors and will give you significant vignette on a full-frame.

9. CanadianMe

CanadianMe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have done a lot of reading and comparisons on both, talked to the Camera Store today and they will lend me each one for an hour to test out with my own camera. Will give me a better idea of fit, feel and once I get home and look at the photos on my computer a look at what quality of photos I get from each. I know the Canon lens is for a 1.6x Camera. I really don't plan on changing to anything else for a while, just got the camera and should I ever upgrade I would sell the lens with the camera. Just at this point it may come down to dollars, just bought all new equipment and I spent enough already but if the quality is noticeable enough may pay the higher price. Still up in the air, the camera store said we could work out a deal on either and they would make it worth my while to buy new, so we shall see. I will be going Thursday and then I will compare and think about the choice. Thanks again for all the feedback.

10. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would advise taking the tripod and taking the exact same shot with both lenses atleast once. I assume you would likely only get one at a time so your best bet is to do that right out side the door where the shop clerk can literally watch you and exchange the lens when you go back to exchange them and then continue along on your merry way. Never the less the best way to compare glass is with two (or more) nearly identical images.

11. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Canon 10-22mm is my most favourite lens out of all of mine. Like someone else said it is like an L lens. It is superb.

12. CanadianMe

CanadianMe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks great idea with the tripod, would have been a good idea last time I compared lenses. The last time I just left my drivers license with them and they let me take out two to compare. They seem reasonable when I want to try out items, I spend enough money with them and they know me very well by now. They lend me their rentals so they are not new lenses which is ok with me, get to see them and use them with some wear and tear.