Canon wide angle

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is there anything decent for under $500?

Minimum - 20mm, maximum - 35mm. Not really interested in a zoom lens...

So..., my options are: 20mm f/2.8, 24mm f/2.8, 28mm f/1.8, 28mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2...

I was looking at the 28mm f/1.8... All the reviews pretty much say that it sucks below 2.8, so why not buy the 28mm f/2.8 for less than half the cost.

It sounds like the only thing the 1.8 has over the 2.8 is USM and better build quality.

Then there's the 20mm. Sounds nice, but... Very strong vignetting (not sure if that will really be bad for me - I add vignetting a lot...).
Actually, the 20mm seems like the best choice so far.

The 24mm sounds a lot like the 'nifty fifty', but smaller. None of the reviews are really winning me over...

The 35mm sounds a lot like the 24mm, but with crappier bokeh...

So...

For less than $500, it sounds like the 20mm is the only option. ?
The reviews for it aren't nearly as bad as the others, it's just a little wider than I really wanted to go. I think I could deal with it though. ;)

I hate to ask, but is there a Sigma lens I should consider...?

I'm looking for quality on a par with the 50mm 1.4.

EDIT
Just in case anybody wants to make recommendations-

MUST be EF, must work on a full frame/35mm camera.
Prefer a prime, and budget pretty much dictates a prime.

Last edited:
Damnit... I just noticed that with the 20mm I will have to buy all new filters... It's 72mm, all of mine are 67mm.

That's not a deal breaker, just annoying...

Filter sizes are a giant pain in the arse, if you ask me. >.<

Sounds like you've done you're research, and I'd say the same thing. Either the 20mm or the 28mm f/2.8 . Poor build quality can be solved by being careful with the lens (well, sorta). I mean, you're not taking it into Siberia, right? As for USM, unless you really need the fast focusing and FTM, it's not that big of a deal not having it, IMO.

You're probably right - I doubt it will fall apart on me, but stil... lol.

The FTM does come in handy every now and then, I'm not really sure how I'd feel about not having it.

With the build quality, I'm more concerned with the feel of it than it's actual durability. I don't know, I just don't like "cheap" feeling stuff, lol.

I think it is between the 20mm 2.8 and the 28mm 2.8... Pretty considerable price difference though... Both within budget, but if I go with the cheaper one, I know I'll buy a bunch of other stuff to even it out. :lmao:

I never thought 8mm would make such a big difference... I'm worried that 20mm is too wide, but wondering if 28mm is wide enough. :confused:

Damnit... I just noticed that with the 20mm I will have to buy all new filters... It's 72mm, all of mine are 67mm.

That's not a deal breaker, just annoying...

Well, maybe just an IR. I don't think I would use CPL much with a lens this wide.

Don't have ND *yet*, so that wouldn't be a duplicate filter...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmmm..., but the Sigma 28mm 1.8 Macro sounds interesting...

(EDIT - not a true macro though, only 1:2.9.)

I'm just kinda leery about 3rd party lenses...

Last edited:
I'm just kinda leery about 3rd party lenses...

You just have to do your homework. In some cases, Sigma and Tamron lenses are very highly rated. I can think of the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 (sorry, crop lens) and the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 HSM Macro. The Sigma 30mm f1.8 is also apparently a great lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back