canon XSi or Nikon D5000

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
my budget allows me to get the XSi or D5000?
which would you choose?

is it true that nikon is more sharp than canon in terms of focus?

Both Nikon and Canon have lenses that are pretty much equivalent to each other (in terms of sharpness, they can be really close). You will see many canon vs. nikon debates around here (just do a search) but in the end I think they're both pretty equal. As with anything they'll have their pros and cons but that's really a personal decision and not something we can say definitively one way or another that one is better.

If you are planning to get a 50mm prime lens and do not want to spend too much money. Go with the Canon. Otherwise, you are back to square one. Manual Focus with 50mm F/1.8 on Nikon D5000. You will have to buy the Nikkor AF-S 50mm F/1.4 in order for the AF to work since D5000 do not have the in-body focus motor to AF the older 50mm F/1.8 AF lens.

just try them both and see which one feels better in your hand

decide before this becomes a canon vs. nikon thread

what am i saying it will happen no matter what you do

... the beast is coming...

Last edited:
just try them both and see which one feels better in your hand

decide before this becomes a canon vs. nikon thread

X2. Goto a real camera store (not Best buy) someplace that has both models not on that horrible security tether. Pick them up, walk around the store, take some pictures, ask some questions... you will be shocked at how this will affect your decision and how much happier you will be when you get home. I was hell bent on a T1i until I did this- walked out of the store with a D40. It just felt more balanced in my hands- you may be different. Only one way to find out.

Also, do not limit yourself to these two models (or brands for that matter).

p!nK

I just bought the Nikon D5000 and even though i still have no clue as to what im doing with it..I love it! I havent compared it to the other though....so im anxious to see any other comments on this...

I am a Canon man but was thinking of building a Nikon setup too, so BUY BOTH!!! :sexywink:

Most reactions

Back