Canon XSi

malkav41

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, I've been thinking about buying my first DSLR, and have decided on the Canon XSi (body only). I was looking at the Nikon D80, but it's an older model, and so that kind of changed my mind about it, that, and the fact it still costs almost $700.00. I have older Canon EF lenses and SD/SDHC that I can use with it.

So, has anyone use the XSi, and if so, what are the pros/cons of it.

Thanks,
Ed

It's a solid camera for the price. Some pros are simply that it's a little smaller and lightweight; you're less likely to tire from stabilizing it with nothing more than your arms and a bit of support, at least for a while. It's got pretty much everything you could ask for in an entry-level DSLR really.

Cons, there is one dial, not two. There is no dedicated FEL (flash exposure lock) button (blast it all, I would love to have a dedicated FEL button so that I can FEL, AF lock, and AE lock seperately). Signal-to-noise ratio at ISO 800 and 1600 pretty much sucks, but that's t be expected on a lower-range DSLR; clean ISO 6400 is still the realm of pro camera bodies. It's a crop sensor, and note that I'm not saying this because of the crop factor when using EF lenses (I don't consider that a con, just something to consider when purchasing and using lenses); diffraction starts kicking in at lower f-stops then it would on a full-frame sensor. You'll start losing sharpness at around f/16 on most lenses. No PC sync connection (again, something that's really the realm of pro bodies).

Regardless, you can use the 450D with pro accessories, like the latest Canon flashes, and plenty of other things. In that regard, it's not definitely not a toy.

I have used my friends XSI and it is little. the camera itself offers a decent camera for the price but it is an Amateur camera for sure.
Pros:
The camera is a 12.2MP
Very lightweight for ease of use.
Big screen for previewing.
Cons:
Only 9 focusing points.
1600 ISO Max which mean the higher ISO's 800+ will not be very good.
Next to no buttons requiring you to dig through menus for settings.
Only one finger wheel to adjust settings requiring time in menu for adjustments
Truth be told. At 700 you could do so much better. If you want to be able to use your older lenses I would go with the 40d. You can get it on KEH for about 700-800 used. I have bought from them many times and have been very satisfied with them.
Don't spend 700 on the XSI when you get so much better for that price.
As far as the D80. It is a great camera. I am very happy with it. I am upgrading in the near future to either the d700 or D3 I have not decided but I'm leaning to D3.
Check out keh.com you will like it.

Daniel Sach
Sachphotography Fine Art Photography The homepage of Daniel Sach and his photography Company

Mmm, the one finger wheel hasn't forced me to dig through menus yet, as you say. Just what settings are you referring to?

Most reactions

Back