Canon XT cold problems

rlcphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last nite I did a football game,,,when the sun went down it started giving me problems with auto focus, switched over to manual and the same thing happened. The camera went so slow on shutter all photos were blurred.??
Is this a problem with the XT?

The temp went to around 45 degrees

It didn't have anything to do with the cold. You batteries were dying. Cold doesn't help, though.

Do you mean when the environment was darker, your camera cannot focus well? How about now?

When you say "...switched over to manual...", do you mean switch to Manual Focus or manual on Shutter speed and Aperture?

It didn't have anything to do with the cold. You batteries were dying. Cold doesn't help, though.

no I changed the batteries to fresh 3 times that wasnt the problem

Its not power its light - as others have mentioned did you alter your settings to compensate for the reduced light after dark? Even with floodlights you will have different lighting which calls for different settings to keep your shutter speed up.

In reduced light at the same aperture and ISO your camera needs a longer shutter speed to get a good exposure. Compensating by using a wider aperture helps along with also boosting your ISO - these together mean more light is getting into the sensor through the lens (aperture) and also that your sensor is being more sensative to light (ISO). However this will affect your depth of field (smaller for a wider aperture) and also increased ISO will lead to more noise in shots.

Its all a trade off in the end.
(ps wider aperture means smaller f number )

Like others have mentioned, it's simply the light that's the problem. Lower light means longer shutter speeds. Also, autofocus tends to suffer in low-light conditions. It's worse on slower lenses. Switching to manual focus won't yield better results as not only will you be struggling to keep up (autofocus is much faster than you), but you'll still be relying on the autofocus system for the confirmation dot (or whatever Canon uses).

manual focus with action is tricky - I have tried it with wildlife and often its very hard to beat auto focus for a proper lock on for sharpness - there are times though when either composition or lighting call for using manual - in those cases you have to predict movement of the subject and focus where they are going to be - then hit the shutter and pray (ok this all sounds really easy in theory in practice it takes - well a lot of practice)

tanx for all the replys regarding this problem. I tried it all no good.

Now I discover this morning doing an outside shoot in daylight that the lens may be all the problem. It seems it just wouldnt cooperate and open or any thing, thot it mite be the camera so I put new batteries in the other camera and the same thing, so Lokks like Sigma is going to get a lens back, this will be the 3rd lens I have returned to Sigma in the last 2 years.

any one else have trouble with Sigma. this is the APO 70/200 HSM

this one?
http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/telezoom/70-200mm.htm

if so I am a little surprised - their budget lenses do tend to get flack for being cheap, but at their price range they offer more than most - and are budget line. When you move up to their better range lenses they tend to make a larger improvment in build quality and general quality.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back