Canon Xti

SanctuS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a few questions about the Canon Xti.

First of all. Is there a significant difference between the Canon 30D and the Xti, and if there is, what are they.

Second of all. Does the Xti have a live LCD monitor, or is it like the 30D and its predecessors that only support reviewing the picture on the LCD.

Another question. I am relatively new to photography, and I want to get into digital photography for it's ease of use and not having to develop film, etc. Is this a good camera to get into digital photography or would a non-SLR camera do the job? Would there be any other digital SLR cameras that would be better while staying in the price range? I already own a Canon Rebel T2 and have 2 lenses that I might use for a digital SLR.

First of all. Is there a significant difference between the Canon 30D and the Xti, and if there is, what are they.
They are different levels of DSLR camera. The XTi is an entry level DSLR and is made to be small and light. This might be a benefit for you, or maybe not. The 30D (or 20D, 40D etc) are a mid level body, which is bigger and made with more metal and less plastic. The controls are generally easier to get at compared to the lower level bodies. Image quality should be quite close.

Second of all. Does the Xti have a live LCD monitor, or is it like the 30D and its predecessors that only support reviewing the picture on the LCD.
I don't think the XTi or the 30D have live view. Both models have been replaced, however, with the XSi and the 40D. I know that the 40D is live view able, but I'm unsure of the XSi. THIS page seems to say that it isn't.

Any of these cameras would be good for getting into digital photography. You could get a non-SLR digital camera, but you would most likely find it lacking, compared to your film SLR. And a DSLR (and lenses) are a much better investment.

There are, of course, other brands of DLSR that are worth looking into (Nikon, Sony, Pentax etc) but seeing as you have Canon lenses, I'd recommend sticking with Canon.

Is Live View a big deal? I know I'm used to using it with point and shoot cameras, but in all honesty, is it a good enough reason to choose a 1200 dollar camera over a 600 dollar one?

I personally don't think Live view is a big deal. I feel that it's much better to be looking into the viewfinder (and out the lens) with my own eye.

However, given the choice between any of those cameras...I would still go for the 40D (again, my personal choice)...but not for the live view.

First of all, I don't like the small bodies on the Rebel series. I use 20D cameras and I much prefer the larger size and control layout. The 40D can shoot at 6.5 fps, which is blazingly fast (not that I shoot in bursts very often, but it's cool). The 40D has the new Digic III processor which makes for cleaner shots. (I'm not sure about the XTi, but I think the XSi also has that). The 40D also has a much better AF system that any of the other cameras in question. There are other upgrades as well...but I think I've made the point.

Okay, sounds interesting. I was definitely looking into the 40D. The only problem being the price. That's why I was looking at the 30D or XTi, both of which are $300 and $500 cheaper, respectively.

That's always the problem isn't it? :er:

There is nothing inherently wrong with the XTi or the 30D...they are both great cameras. I just figure that if you are spending a lot of money anyway, you might as well get the best you can afford...because over the life of the product, the price difference will not seem so big.

Now, to further complicate the issue...your money may be better used on a good lens than a better camera. So if you were to buy the cheaper camera and put that money toward a top quality lens...that would probably affect your images more that just getting a better/more expensive camera.

Ah yes,

Always buy great glass and a good body. I'm pretty sure I have some of the lowest end lenses you can buy, so that probably should be a priority in the near future. I would love to get the 40D or even the 30D, but with college coming up this fall, I'm not sure how I can even manage to get any camera.

If you would consider a used camera...I still think that the 20D is a great bargain.

The 30D is basically a 20D with a face lift, so you can get a 20D cheaper and have pretty much the same camera. The 20D was also a great camera in it's day. There are plenty of newer cameras that have newer and better features...but the image quality still stands up pretty well.
I know a wedding photographer who uses a 20D, a 40D and even a 1D mk III. He has no problem using the 20D for important shots, if that's the camera he's holding at the time.

Most reactions

Back