Canon

3of11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have a point and shoot camera. However, I recently had a strong desire to purchase a SLR. I have been recommended the Canon XT but don't know if it would be better to get the XTi, or even go above that and get the 30D or 40D. Pricing I have found is as follows:

XTi (body only)- $319
30D (body only) - $459
40D (body only) - $549

Is it worth the extra money? I am planning on purchasing the Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Lens to go along with the camera I get.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Well, I personally prefer the larger size of the 30D/40D, but think the XT is a fine camera. There are lots of threads on here about the differences between the XT and XTi -- it may be easier to search for them than for me to re-hash. You can also check out the reviews on www.dpreviews.com.

But one VERY IMPORTANT thing to note: those prices are probably way too low for a reputable dealer. Where did you get them from? There are a lot of shady "Bait and Switch" scams on the internet -- the price looks good, but you'll never actually get the camera at it (and may end up needing to cancel your credit card to boot). A good way to find out if the retailer you're looking at is bogus is to go to www.resellerratings.com and check out reviews.

B&H Photo or Adorama (links at the top of page) are both safe, reliable places to buy -- and their prices are generally at or near the lowest you'll find from a non-scam.

Welcome to the forum.

First of all, beware of where you purchase from. The prices you have listed seem too low...and are probably too good to be true. (unless those are price differences over the XT).

Also, there is the XSi, which is the replacement for the XTi.

They are all good cameras. The Rebel series are the 'entry level' DSLR models and the 30D & 40D are higher level bodies that are bigger and more robust.

Which is best for you? I don't know. I suggest holding the different models and see which feels best to you. If you can afford it, it's usually better, in the long run, to get the most current model...so either the XSi or the 40D.

I was super excited about those prices, but after reading that they might be too good to be true I checked the Better Business Bureau and found that the website selling with those prices has a very poor record. Thanks SOOO much for the warning. Now I have to face the realization that getting my dream camera won't be as easy.

I usually recommend check on www.resellerratings.com

I highly recommend B&H or Adorama (there are links to them at the top of the page). They are two of the biggest Photo retailers and they have fair prices and good service.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back