Canon's custom function

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by wet, Sep 22, 2009.

1. wet

wet TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I almost never use the custom functions on my Canon. I was wondering if you guys can tell me is this a useful & convenient feature to master & I am missing out the goodies for all these time.
    Thanks.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can you be more specific? Like which camera you are using.

There are some Custom Functions that I always have set differently than the default and there are some that I change on a semi-regular basis.

3. chammer

chammer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yea, one in particular i changed was the AEB order. i think the default was 0, -1, +1 and i changed it to -1, 0, +1 since thats more logical to me.

i believe mirror lockup is also a custom function, and one that should be used if you're using a tripod doing macro photography or the like where camera shake could ruin an image.

if you could be specific on which custom function/functions you are referring to, we'd be able to help a lot more. :)

4. wet

wet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    10D & 5D M2.

Could you also give an example when it is really useful to have these custom features.

Thanks.

5. wet

wet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    See, I never really use it to notice its importance. I tried it once actually under my friend's supervision (setting 1st & 2nd curtain sync, maybe, can't quite remember), I was pretty intimidated by it. Thanks, Chammer.

6. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You have a 5D MkII and you're not using the custom functions? Oh yeah, you're missing out. Big time. Go read the manual and familiarize yourself with what they all do.

I mess with custom functions pretty regularly, and some are assigned as part of the main menus (the 450D has a nifty "My Menu" thingy, and I've put some custom functions that I change often in there). It lets me finagle every last iota of photographic mojo out of my camera, so to speak.

7. wet

wet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great, now I really feel & look like an idiot. My lame excuse is I only bought it recently (9 months, maybe) & I don't use it very often due to other commitment, i.e. full time job & a new baby. :er:

Still, why it is more superior than manual, Av & Tv? Damn my photographer friend, he left out all the important details. ;)

8. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :lol: I was saying that in jest. Sorta.

Those custom functions include wonderful features like highlight tone priority, mirror lock-up, high ISO noise reduction, how Live View AF works, and more—I'd wager a lot more on a 5D.

9. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    First custom function I change on my Canons is to move the AF Start from the shutter button to the * button on the back.

I will mess with the other custom functions but changing the AF Start from the shutter button to the * button is a must.

10. Stosh

Stosh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm racking my brain and I can't figure out why you move AF Start. Would you please explain?

11. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So that you can focus and set exposure separately. I find this most useful in fast changing lighting situations, where the subject is relatively still. I can focus, fire some frames, fire some more, but the camera isn't always refocusing each time I half-depress the shutter. And it gives a whole lot more control when you're shooting in AF Servo mode.

12. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have to blame POTN and this thread for first making me aware of the possibility of moving the AF Start from the shutter button to the * button. But it wasn't until I met up with some local Canon shooters who actually was shooting this way that I actually tried it. At first it was very awkward and I thought I would never get used to it...but now I can't use a camera if the AF Start is still on the shutter button. My thumb just goes straight to the * button when I'm ready to shoot, I'm not even aware that it's doing it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009