Canon's "Live View" feature..thumbs up!

MDesigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
All I have to say is...

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

I initially thought it might just be a nice-to-have. Turns out, with night photography, it's been a MUST for me. Being able to lift the mirror, see the image on the LCD, and THEN zoom way way in so I can manual focus to perfection.... is priceless. I've gotten some exceptional night shots on my main lens (Tamron). I'm sure if I had expensive L glass, I could get tack sharp night photos.

If anyone is on the market for a DSLR and is wondering about Live View.. now you have one person's opinion. ;)

I'm also curious, anyone else have any great uses for Live View besides night photography?

All I have to say is...

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

I initially thought it might just be a nice-to-have. Turns out, with night photography, it's been a MUST for me. Being able to lift the mirror, see the image on the LCD, and THEN zoom way way in so I can manual focus to perfection.... is priceless. I've gotten some exceptional night shots on my main lens (Tamron). I'm sure if I had expensive L glass, I could get tack sharp night photos.

If anyone is on the market for a DSLR and is wondering about Live View.. now you have one person's opinion. ;)

I'm also curious, anyone else have any great uses for Live View besides night photography?

How do you deal with the internal/ego issue's of using live view??

Typically using the viewfinder is what separates "us" (superior photographers) from "them" (snap shooting, live viewing point and shooters).

People like you blur the once rigid line that divides highbrow egotistical SLR shooters from the lower tiered photographical wannabe's...

Even if your findings of live view are somewhat positive... is this something you should be mentioning in a public forum??...

The optical quality of my old point/shoot camera is horrible and less superior than it's live view. However, I still use the viewfinder in front of friends because it promotes a more serious and professional image of my work. I remind my friends of this all the time... and it makes me feel better about myself...

Ego doesn't come into play here, because I don't work that way. I'm pretty sure your post is tongue in cheek.. if so, it makes a good point and is clever. :) But for people who do feel the way you've illustrated, they need to wake up. I use a combination of viewfinder & Live View, depending on (get ready for this) which tool makes the most sense and will yield the best results in any given situation. Anyone who uses the viewfinder 100% of the time simply because they feel it's "superior" or using the LCD is for lesser folk is, I dare say, probably a photo snob.

Sorry, but there's the truth. Resourceful people will always use what works best for them or their situation. Period.

How do you deal with the internal/ego issue's of using live view??

Typically using the viewfinder is what separates "us" (superior photographers) from "them" (snap shooting, live viewing point and shooters).

People like you blur the once rigid line that divides highbrow egotistical SLR shooters from the lower tiered photographical wannabe's...

Even if your findings of live view are somewhat positive... is this something you should be mentioning in a public forum??...

The optical quality of my old point/shoot camera is horrible and less superior than it's live view. However, I still use the viewfinder in front of friends because it promotes a more serious and professional image of my work. I remind my friends of this all the time... and it makes me feel better about myself...

to me this makes you sound like a photographer thats out to look "cool" if you were really serious you would use wichever method was in the best intrests to get the right shot.
as the OP said it makes his night time shooting much easier, if this helps him get a good shot, who cares if he looks like a "P&S take a snap" photographer?

Ego doesn't come into play here, because I don't work that way. I'm pretty sure your post is tongue in cheek.. if so, it makes a good point and is clever. :) But for people who do feel the way you've illustrated, they need to wake up. I use a combination of viewfinder & Live View, depending on (get ready for this) which tool makes the most sense and will yield the best results in any given situation. Anyone who uses the viewfinder 100% of the time simply because they feel it's "superior" or using the LCD is for lesser folk is, I dare say, probably a photo snob.

Sorry, but there's the truth. Resourceful people will always use what works best for them or their situation. Period.

:sexywink:

to me this makes you sound like a photographer thats out to look "cool" if you were really serious you would use wichever method was in the best intrests to get the right shot.
as the OP said it makes his night time shooting much easier, if this helps him get a good shot, who cares if he looks like a "P&S take a snap" photographer?

:confused:.... you can't be serious..... if you look professional you are professional.... this is what photography is all about....

*sigh*

nice attempt at weeding ur way out of it though.

Actually... after a lot of recent reading, it occurs to me that "real" photographers don't use the Viewfinder, they use the Ground Glass on the back... which is like LiveView, just upside down and left-to-right... :)

I love live view. As you stated, that's not why I got my 40D, but after using in situations where it was dark and could not get a focus, live view allowed me to still get the shot. I also like having a histogram because I'm pretty sure the view finder doesn't give acturate results of exposure. It does wonders on landscape photography (for me: shooting storms, and mountains).

Actually... after a lot of recent reading, it occurs to me that "real" photographers don't use the Viewfinder, they use the Ground Glass on the back... which is like LiveView, just upside down and left-to-right... :)

... I would not mind MF or LF camera myself... Actually I have been following your thread quite earnestly actually.

I have yet to use the Live View feature on my D300. I kepp forgetting it is there, I guess Im too old and, set in my ways.

:confused:.... you can't be serious..... if you look professional you are professional.... this is what photography is all about....

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hate to burst that ego bubble there, but a true professional knows their craft thoroughly, practices their craft to the fullest and uses any and all tools to their fullest to accomplish the job. They could care less how it looks to the uninformed, it is the end product, and only the end product that matters.

A pseudo professional tries to talk the talk, dresses the part, in their mind, and buys the props, but cannot walk the walk. A $2000.00 Brooks Brothers suit and a briefcase does not make you Robert Shapiro, F. Lee Bailey or Alan Dershowitz. It just make you a guy with a $2000.00 suit, a briefcase and a whole lot of nothing.

Most reactions

Back