Canon's new commercial

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by JIP, Jun 10, 2007.

1. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I have seen the discussion about the new D40 commercial and I have to say I agree with alot of it. Now I want to know what everyone thinks of the new Canon one. Being a Nikon person I'm not sure wich camera it is for Xti I think. The ehing that surprises me about it is it seems to take the same tack as the Nikon one "you can have pro pictures with this cheap DSLR". It even goes so far as to show someone shooting behind all the "pros" with the massive 400-600 2.8 4 foot long and showing the person shooting with what looks like a fairly short lens and getting a sharp crystal clear head and shoulders shot of someone catching a football. Well whatever I don't have a link so if someone could come up with one I'm sure that would be helpful but what do you think?.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think I know the commercial you are talking about...it's not that new.

I agree, both commercials are pushing reality...

3. OttawaPhotog

OttawaPhotog TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Pushing reality is what they are hoping will get the consumer in to buy thier latest product. And when they get home and try to reproduce the shot they will be dissappointed or they will go and purchase a nice big lense and try again.

Oh well... it is marketing/advertising for ya

4. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Have they no shame? rofl... Actually I'm insensed by any adv that pretty much says buy our hardware and forget all those years of work the guy in front of you did.... Even worse is the growing mentality... Why hire a professional photographer Harry Has a Nikon or Cannon Dslr. He can do it just fine......

Hell Maybe Harry can but it won't be because he has a Nikon D40 or whatever Cannon is hawking this week.

5. oldnavy170

oldnavy170 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just got my first DSLR and I am no Pro......guess they lied! :)

6. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

And that is another thing, I know this isnt you Navy, but how would I feel if I was twenty and bought their camera. Then it didn't make me shoot like a pro. The pictures on full automatic weren't much better than my say panasonic fz20 on full automatic. Would I think, "they lied to me." Or would I think, "Hell if all those other people can make great pics with this thing, then I must be a real dolt.

It just so madison ave slimy lol.

7. crownlaurel

crownlaurel TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've taken some really REALLY BAD photos so far with my D40. Can I get my money back (and keep the camera, LOL)?

8. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you should be able to do that, or we should make our own commercial for that video site.... Show a bunch of lousy pics with a voice over. Dear Nikon, I didn't shoot like a pro at all. I want my money back. Wonder how long we could hatch a plot on this foreum before a mod shut us down. Ive only been banned from one forum before.

9. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pick up any photo mag from the 1950s, and you'll see that this has been the standard advertising strategy targeting newbie photographers pretty much since the beginning. When they are targeting more advanced photogs they go with the "This guy uses our gear. Buy our gear and you will have his success.", or like Leica "We are so suave. Those in the know demand the very best." Rest assured it's all BS.

How many of you would consider a Kodak Brownie camera from 1890 to be a point-n-shoot? Yet that's what it was marketed as in it's day. "You press the button - We do the rest." Anybody can be a photographer with this camera. Compare a newbie's results with the 1890 Brownie to newbie results with a D40 or D Rebel, and I'd bet the DSLR shots would look way more pro.

10. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hey, this is a world where companies want to make profit .. surprise :p

11. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm sure that 'those in the know', as we might consider ourselves...are in the minority...so it doesn't make sense to gear their advertising to us. They make much more money by advertising to the ignorant masses.

I try not to let it bother me. After all, the more cameras they sell to soccer moms (& dads)...the more money they have for R&D on the really cool stuff that I would like.