Canon's Quality Control Mechanism

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Formatted, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Formatted

Formatted TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    WARNING: Some might find this shocking!

Mass destruction of the Canon cameras | Paradoxoff Planet

I can completely understand why you would do this. You wouldn't want to provide poor quality photos for free or reduced prices because people wouldn't buy your good stuff!

And let us not forget that most of the left over parts are used for repairs!

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Canon (and many other manufacturers) have also been known to destroy old inventory in perfect working order as well.

3. wesd

wesd TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well it does make sence and on the other hand its a bit ok a lot of waste. One one hand they need wuality control and they need a system fr makeing sure those camera do not make it back into the general public. Makes more more confident to own a canon and know that it passed all of the acceptable quality control conditions.
    Wes

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Heh I bet if you look in the pile you might find Lens Rentals 600mm that went swimming with the crocs ;)

It's all (According the the site) stock that was damaged in transport (or other causes) and whilst some might be repaired chances are that damage to them was intense enough to not be economically viable (cost more to repair and pay a repairman than it would to produce another off the assembly line). Clearly much of it could be repaired - but the time and cost is just not viable - better to strip down for spares and repire less highly damanged articles.

As for destroying old stock - I can understand that as well, though I think most companies tend to ship to 3rdworld nations where they can sell the items at still inflated prices and the product is still considered advanced enough. Most though sell to specific distributers for those areas - thus losing the need to warrenty support on old items that won't be sold at the best price and for which they won't be stocking spares for.

5. wesd

wesd TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    interesting didn't know about them sending broken merchandise out of country. I know they do it with a lot of recyclables materials to places like Malaysia. ya they smelt lead out of circuit boards in bowls they use later in the day for cooking food.
    Wes

6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Well I know most of our fridges (yeah all those evil CFC ones) and mobile phones head out to be resold to 3rdworld markets where repair of them is more viable since labour costs out there are far less than in western nations and the products are in demend even though they are older models -- so it would not surprise me about many of our other electical goods going the same way - if not directly then indirectly via 3rdparty groups and companies

That is the downside to both electronics advance and current marketing methods - both serve to ensure that there is a steady increase in better and better products and a steady drop off of support for older models even though they may not even be 5 years old!

7. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If they keep the parts for repairs, they do not get compensated. If they destroy the parts, the insurance kicks in and they are no less for the wear. ;)

8. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It's money in the bank..........tax writeoff.

9. Dallas

Dallas TPF Noob!

Hi ! guy its true statement because everyone has need to show express feeling in some situation they show only photos but photo should be clear and high resolution because it can be great impact