Canon's RAW = .CR2

AE86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon 30D and when i shoot in "RAW" it uploads to the computer as .CR2:confused: I don't get it, I thought RAW was RAW? Photoshop doesn't even recognize it. (lightroom does)

So whats the deal? does any one know?

.CR2 is the file type = RAW is the type of processing done to the photo (in the case of RAW its almost perfect sensor recording - so no post processing in camera).

The difference is because each company (and even different cameras within the same company) have RAW modes, but the actual file type and coding is different - there is not industry standard. Hence something like lightroom - which is built round batch RAW processing has likey shipped with a wider selection of RAW codecs which is why it can read your photos and photoshop cannot. All you need to do is either install the software that came with your camera on CD and if that does not interface with photoshop then download the codec from your cameras maker or photoshop website

Elements 5.0 can open RAW from 30D

Elements can not do it with RAW from 40D though - not sure why.

Am guessing Lightroom is new so it already has 30D loaded. Your PS probably older and does not have patch to recognize 30D. Elements 5.0 is "newer" so has no probs with 30D, but can't do 40D. Or maybe Adobe just want everyone to upgrade to CS3? :(

There is an upgrade of some kind on Adobe's website that will allow Elements 4,5,6 and CS2 (a version #) to recognize 40D RAW. Something like that ... the steps to install was a pain and I'm not keeping 40D long so I didn't download it.

Photoshop and maybe the newer versions of Elements can be updated to read the RAW files from new cameras. Every camera's RAW files are different so the software has to be updated as well. As mentioned, the update you need to download is Adobe Camera RAW.

Adobe does cut you off at some points. They don't put out ACR for older versions of photoshop...so if you have say a 40D and Photoshop 8.0....you won't be able to update it.

That being said, you only loose the ability to open RAW files directly (& convert them). You can use the software provided with the camera (EOS Utilities or Canon Digital Pro) to open & convert the RAW files to TIFF or JPEG, then open those files in Photoshop, Elements or whatever.

If you have Lightroom, you can just use that and export to Photoshop when you want to.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back