TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.niccigilland.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you think of this:

4-12-06164web.jpg

I took this picture while I was doing "test shots" with my camera, and didn't think much of it. But later, I ran across it and decided to play up the color saturation in PS, and thought that I liked it. Since then, I've been going back and forth about whether I like it or not. I know it breaks all the rules - blown out highlights, only the very top of the tree showing - not to mention some purple fringing around the tree. So tell me, does it have any redeeming value at all?

BTW, if this would be more appropriate in another section, please move.

Thanks everyone!

I myself don't always see a problem with only the top of a tree in a pic..
(sometimes its just unavoidable - sometimes it really works..)
but i think it -may- be a tiny bit too blown out..

Consider maybe going with the 180 degree perspective..
instead of heavy hue & saturation,
switch it to Black n White.. strongly contrasted with a touch
of unsharpening filter.. (which actually sharpens.. odd name filter huh ?)

I agree with Waltonphotography
This would look great as a black and white.
I would crop a little off the top, mayble down to the little fluffy puff.

Personally I do not need to see the whole tree especially with dramatic clouds within the frame.

Sometimes for me, when I really try to get a good shot...it doesn't happen, but when I goof around a little bit I may get something kinda cool...I really learn from that.

Trust your eye and get as much of what you really want in the view finder and you will have greater success in post processes.

I've seen one photographer rely more on photoshop then on the image taken. IMO that will make for a lazy photographer.

Best to All,
AltLars

As suggested, I went back to the original, desaturated, and played with the unsharp mask a bit (don't know how well I did with that - this is my first attempt to use it). Also cropped and ran it through neat image to get rid of some of the noise. How did I do? And Altlars, I agree - photoshop sure can make for lazy photogs sometimes. I'm doing my best to learn to get it right in-camera - I think I'll do better with that once I switch to film (my F80 is coming tomorrow, w00t!), so I'll have to PAY someone to get a digital version to photoshop :lol:

Anyhow, what do you guys think?

4-12-06164bw_filteredweb.jpg

Most reactions

Back