Can't decide

Quinnb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Currently I'm stuck deciding on what camera to get. I'm pretty much stuck between the canon 70d and a nikon d5500 or d7100. As far as what I plan on using them for it's mostly nature, sunset, beaches, occasionally people and sports, and I really want to get into long exposure (mostly light trails, steel wool, and milky way). I'd really love to stick with canon as my sister already has a canon (which makes things easy) and I just love canon overall. However from what I've seen most people would recommend the nikon. (Also like to add that built in WiFi is very important for me to have) Appreciate any input!

I'd recommend the D7200, but I'm bias. :D Nothing wrong with Canon either and in fact, if you already have Canon gear and if you like it overall AND if your sister is willing to let you borrow lenses, I'd say go for the Canon!

If you'd really love and love overall, then...........

If possible go to a store and play with both. You may find differences or deal breakers based on the way they feel in your hands, and based on how you feel about the menu systems.

Your sister having lenses could be important.

However from what I've seen most people would recommend the nikon. (Also like to add that built in WiFi is very important for me to have) Appreciate any input!

Do the people that recommend Nikon own the brand? If they do they have a bias. If they don't own it they are probably recommending it because they know someone that does. I own Canon. Want my recommendation?

The good thing here is that you really can't make a poor decision. Neither company makes crappy equipment. Buy the features you like and that fit your budget. Your sister's knowledge and the possibility of borrowing lenses does have some appeal though.

Do the people that recommend Nikon own the brand? If they do they have a bias. If they don't own it they are probably recommending it because they know someone that does. I own Canon. Want my recommendation?

The good thing here is that you really can't make a poor decision. Neither company makes crappy equipment. Buy the features you like and that fit your budget. Your sister's knowledge and the possibility of borrowing lenses does have some appeal though.

I own the Nikon D750. I used to own the Nikon D5200.

When I purchased the D5200, I was considering one of the following cameras:
Nikon D600, Canon 6D, and Nikon D5200. I did my research, and didn't like what the Canon crop bodies had to offer in comparison to Nikon's offerings. I went with the D5200 because I felt like the 6D and D600 were too expensive. I also felt like I was left with less choice, since the oil issues with the D600 kept me away from that. The 6D interested me as well, but its limited focusing system, alongside a couple of other limited features, kept me away.

When I purchased the D750:
I had already sold most of my camera gear. I could have sold the rest of my gear and switched over to Canon. But what did Canon have to offer 2 years later at the $2000-$2500 price-point (new)? The Canon 6D. Still. And the 5DMKiii did not make any sense whatsoever to me. The 7D MKii is a well-featured crop, but not what I wanted. The D750, however, stepped things up where I wanted things to be stepped up, and at the price-point I wanted ($2200).

Am I biased toward Nikon just because I own Nikon gear? No. That's insane. I buy whatever works the best. If something better rolls around, I'll acknowledge it. This isn't preschool for everyone, some people are grown-ups about this stuff.

I have tried Canon's DSLR's out. I like the interface, I like the way the focus points are managed through the viewfinder, I really like the selector spinny wheel that Nikon still hasn't been able to offer. However, Nikon's entry-level crop sensor cameras are just hands down better in terms of the sensor performance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back