Reaction score
Website
125th-at-f8.blogspot.com
Ok . This is not a crow .

My bird life book says so.

What do you think ?

Hanno.

PhspIMG003.jpg

PS : JonMikal & Chiller - you realise that I will now have to go out and shoot a real South African crow on a tombstone. Just to prove that our crows are bigger than yours. Asked my boss for a days leave to go and do this. He thinks I'm mad. !!! who knows ?

TCT, this is ONE lovely photo of a bird.
I have never seen a Cape Sugar Bird before, didn't even know they existed, but my knowledge of ornitology is next to nil... can just about tell a sparrow from a blackbird - AND know what a crow looks like, though we have two different kinds around here, and which is which??? :scratch:
But yes, you have all reason to be happy with this photo: DOF perfect, pin-sharp, as you say, not the least bit of camera shake (which I find hard to avoid with the fully extended 300mm lens) - makes me want to pet this bird. But he would not tolerate it, I fear...

Like I said - real luck to get it so sharp.

0f three shots only one was sharp. other two hopelesly camera shaked.

Anyone noticed the ring on it's leg ???

Bird has been caught ringed and released before ..

These days the use colourcoded rings so that researhers can distinguish the birds without having to capture them again.

I beleive that the Cape sugarbird is found in the Western Cape of South Africa only. Same as the 'Pincushion protea" it is sitting on.

Hanno

Very cool shot. Tough to get any bird to sit long enough to get a good clear pic of it. Excellent DOF here. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back