Captain America Water Drops

TimothyJinx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.timothymillerphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I know this is nothing new but I've been sick all weekend and I had nothing better to do. It was a fun exercise!

I couldn't quite get a really clean drop - every one has a glare. Not sure how to deal with that - I tried several different light positions/setups, etc. But I gave up after a while since my wife was giving me some strange looks. :er:

1. $IMG_2084.jpg

2.$IMG_2123.jpg

3.$IMG_2130.jpg

Love them! Great choice in the background and reflection.
Very well done :)

I think the glare is kind of superpowery!:thumbup:

Oops, replied too fast, I've had the same issue in my water drops also and have yet to figure it out, I wonder if rear curtain syncing the flash would make a difference?....even if it moves the smudges from bottom to top it would be an improvement IMHO. I have yet to try this and yours is quite inspirational so perhaps it's time to play and test the theory ;)

Too much ambient light or you need faster shutter + hss

I use onboard flash for these shots still, not sure about Timothy but from the look of his shots I'm going to guess he is also, that means my SS is 1/250 max so I suspect it isn't possible to totally eliminate it?

Oops, replied too fast, I've had the same issue in my water drops also and have yet to figure it out, I wonder if rear curtain syncing the flash would make a difference?....even if it moves the smudges from bottom to top it would be an improvement IMHO. I have yet to try this and yours is quite inspirational so perhaps it's time to play and test the theory ;)

Thanks PixelRabbit. I'm thinking it may be what Robin said about ambient light. It appears the same size glare is there when the drop is still hanging and when it is actually dropping. I'm ok with the actual water drop - take away the glare and it's fairly sharp especially considering this has been cropped quite a bit.

I use onboard flash for these shots still, not sure about Timothy but from the look of his shots I'm going to guess he is also, that means my SS is 1/250 max so I suspect it isn't possible to totally eliminate it?

I used a 430ex2 off camera. But I don't have a transmitter so I have to have the onboard flash on as well. But I've tried flagging the onboard flash off of the subject but where the 430 still sees it. I'm going to give it another try.

haha... that's quite cool.

HSS will just make these into a blur...it's not good with high speed movement, since it's a series of very tiny micro-flashes...

I like the Captain America star in the droplet!!! looks very,very cool.

Water drops are fun. I like it a lot. Next time, try it in a nearly dark room, unless you intended for the background to be visible.

HSS will just make these into a blur...it's not good with high speed movement, since it's a series of very tiny micro-flashes...

I like the Captain America star in the droplet!!! looks very,very cool.

Derrel.. Come on dude.. You are really saying if he shot that with 1/2000 with HSS it will be blurry? Either shoot that in darker room or use HSS.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back