Capture One Pro......

OnTheFly7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Does anyone use this editing software?

I have been looking around and my interest lays in this program and possibly Luminar. After reading the whys on why some folks have left LR, they are similar to why I am looking (lag time, program stops running, etc.). Currently I utilize Photo Mechanic and LR. However, Capture One Pro 10 seems to alleviate the need for the two programs.

Looking for feedback from those who may have used or use the program (who may have or may not have made the switch).

I made the switch over the past couple of months and am very happy. The single biggest reason for switching was the raw processing engine - I was never very impressed with Adobe ACR. Having used C1P for a couple of months I have found many reasons to stick with it - I really quite like the workflow. I purchased v10 but v11 should be released fairly soon.

I missed a couple of DAM items that Lightroom had - but it's nothing that I can't work around. Actual processing of photos - I much prefer C1P

If you make the switch be prepared to take some time to properly learn Capture One Pro. I needed a good 15-20 hours of watching webinars and reading blogs and experimenting before I felt comfortable - you will have some significant workflow changes.

I downloaded the free trial last night.

Low and behold, as I am playing around with it, I receive a text to phone a friend, who brought up what may be a tremendous opportunity in 2018. But, that is for another time, if it works out.

As for Capture One, there are some things I do like. It will take time to learn a new work flow for sure. I do not know if I am a fan of the adjustment "wheels", as compared to the sliders. However, that may be a matter of familiarity and nothing else. I like how you can single out the "color" that you are working on. This is a nice feature. Working with the layers, that will take some time as well.

All in all, after one short stint with Capture One, I find it interesting. At this point, I am not sure if it is worth the cost and worth making the switch. Time will tell.

I've been a regular user of C1 for many years. For best possible image quality and the best possibility that you'll be able to complete an edit without recourse to another application you can't beat it.

Joe

Most reactions

Back