Capturing distinctive bird images

Speaking of a3, do you typically leave it on "Normal" ? I'm guessing the reaction time varies depending on model.

Speaking of a3, do you typically leave it on "Normal" ? I'm guessing the reaction time varies depending on model.
a3 is one of those highly debatable settings. IMHO, (and according to the manual, if you rtfm) if it is on there will be a delay if something enters the scene much closer than the original subject. 1-5 is the amount of time the delay will be. I find medium is fine. When I am tracking owls through the woods, the camera will hold the last known focus distance for a second or two and see if the subject re-appears..
Great article Kris. Thanks.
Thank you sir!

Kris, thanks for the article, very interesting. I have loads of Shite Hawks (Gulls) where I live and usually find them very boring. I suppose it's because they've always been there and are looked on as pests. However, having said all that maybe they'll be good to practice on. You mention that you use Auto ISO, I don't know Canikons so I'm not sure if that is fully auto or within a range. My Pentax can be set within a given ISO range and I was wondering what you would suggest. I shouldn't have to much of a problem going fairly high as the birds are white and the background is unlikely to be very dark. Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks mate
Ray

thank you for your info to put into practice and your photos to keep me trying al

Awesome article! Thanks for sharing! :smile:

Thank you Baturn, waday and alv!
Kris, thanks for the article, very interesting. I have loads of Shite Hawks (Gulls) where I live and usually find them very boring. I suppose it's because they've always been there and are looked on as pests. However, having said all that maybe they'll be good to practice on. You mention that you use Auto ISO, I don't know Canikons so I'm not sure if that is fully auto or within a range. My Pentax can be set within a given ISO range and I was wondering what you would suggest. I shouldn't have to much of a problem going fairly high as the birds are white and the background is unlikely to be very dark. Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks mate
Ray

I'm not really familiar with Pentax, but it sounds the same. I set a maximum ISO in the menu. In manual mode the camera will pick the best ISO value based on the scene and metering mode. With white gulls the ISO will stay very low..

I was killing time yesterday and played with gulls a bit myself.. Even at F7.1 and 1/1600th sec ISO was only 220.. You can still get great shots of them.. They are a great learning platform...
Gull 2_24 1 by krisinct- Thanks for 5 Million views as of Jan 12, on Flickr

Thanks Kris, I appreciate the advice. The weather here isn't to brilliant at the moment but I'll post some results when I can get out to take some shots.

I have read the article about your photography on the Tamron site with great interest. Very interesting.

I'll be the first one to show what you have inspired Kris. I managed to get down to the seafront between jobs this afternoon, I'm a cabby. Some of the gulls kept moving which really spoils my aim :oops: but I did manage to nail this one down. I was leaning over the prom rail waiting for it to fly off. I was all set, resting on the rail, multi shot, continuous focus and I waited, and waited and waited, and every bird on the shore flew off except this one. :( It's had a little pp, high pass filter and a slight levels and curves adjustment.

Thanks Kris

Pentax K-r
Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro lens
Shutter Priority
1/250 sec
ISO 100
f/13

Gull
by Ray. Hines, on Flickr

I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate this thread. The info provided has helped me, immensely!
Auto ISO? Hmmm.... does my camera (d600) have that? lol
This thread has taught me how little I know about the equipment I'm using. It's opened many doors for me.

For the D600 hold the ISO button and turn the front adjustment wheel with your index finger until you see an A next to ISO in the top LCD display :icon_thumright:

Bill is correct in his post above.. Also in the shooting menu (camera) you can adjust the SS and ISO range under ISO sensitivity settings. I have this saved in "My menu" for quick access.. I'm glad I have helped to inspire you!
I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate this thread. The info provided has helped me, immensely!
Auto ISO? Hmmm.... does my camera (d600) have that? lol
This thread has taught me how little I know about the equipment I'm using. It's opened many doors for me.

Yea this thread is the nuts. I'm going out to the Everglades this weekend and taking pictures of wildlife.

I saw a couple of pointers I can't wait to try myself.. Thanks Kris, great of you to share! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back