Car Camera Rig

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Ebag17, May 24, 2009.

1. Ebag17

Ebag17 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I built this rig the other day (summer break... way to much time on my hands) I was able to build it under $50.00. The only problem I'm having is a lot of vibration. I think it's because of the use of cheap suction cups. (there the ones "as seen on T.V." to help old people out of the shower) Someone who has built one of these rigs did you attach any weight to the end of rig (opposite end of the camera) I've only used it on my friends volvo. I'm so scared this thing is going to come cashing down dropping my camera. I'm trying to build up the courage to put it on my M5....

this was a really fun thing to build and even more fun to take photos with. I highly recommend you try it.

Here are some pics of the rig and this thing i built out of PVC pipe to help protect my camera.... i dunno if it will help or not...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. farmerj

farmerj TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Vibration is movement. Movement is transferred just like sound or light. It's a wave form.

To control it you have to isolate it. From what I see of above, you have a solid connection on your cable. Try to put a tension spring in it from like on a door. It's a compression coil spring with two brackets passed down the middle. The cable attaches to the brackets. The brackets then compress the spring allowing it a little bit of flexibility.

These are also used for tensioning electric fences on farms.

If you can create some kind of isolator bushing for the main arm where it attaches to the mount, that would seriously help as well.

3. DScience

DScience No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I hope you didn't build it all for that Volvo.. ;)

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That PVC contraption is just adding extra weight to your camera making it more likely that the suction cap fails. That is the real risk here. Consider adding counterweights. Suction caps will come off when pried off at one end which is what is happening with the distribution of weight. They don't come off by sliding very easily so a counter weight will go a long way to protecting your camera.

Also remember, slow speeds, and steady movement. Even if a cheaper DSLR falls from that height it should only scratch the body at worst. Put a bit of carpet or something on the ground if you're worried.

5. Heck

Heck TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I heard these cars are moving very slow when rig photos are taken.. maybe you were just going too fast?

6. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Same thing I was thinking. Is the vibration from the engine? I would try a few without the engine running. The car doesn't have to be going very fast for it to look like it is.

7. nickisonfire

nickisonfire TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    honestly bro i would not feel safe at all putting any of my gear on there lol

8. veseassnt

veseassnt TPF Noob!

There is something wrong with the suction of the car camera rig. You are suggested to hunt for a new suction with good quality. It is very convenient for you to seach for it from the internet. Having changed a good suction, your problem will be dealt with soon. Hope you can do it soon.

9. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for digging up this 19 month old thread. :thumbup:

10. scotch59

scotch59 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah I agree! from the articles i have read on this most of the time the car is in neutral, and someone just pushes the car while a driver inside simply steers it.

and most rigs i ahve seen together cost about 300, but if you can do it for less and your camera is safe, then why not!

READ THIS: http://www.diyphotography.net/take-cool-car-photos-with-a-diy-specialized-car-rig

11. ls6firebird

ls6firebird TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    a guy on a car forum im on a lot has some amazing rig shots. i think he said he cruises about 5-10 mph.

i would love to do some rig shots with my car, but i dont think i could bring myself to stick somethin like that on my hood. might try on the t top or somethin

12. veseassnt

veseassnt TPF Noob!

Nearly, forget something about this rig. I am afraid this rig is too big. Therefore, the traffic policement will not allow the automobile on the road. What is more, the speed of the automobile will be slowed down a lot. Now there are various kinds of car video recorder on the market. They are not expensive but convenient. The problems I mentioned can be avoided.