Car Camera Rig

Ebag17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I built this rig the other day (summer break... way to much time on my hands) I was able to build it under $50.00. The only problem I'm having is a lot of vibration. I think it's because of the use of cheap suction cups. (there the ones "as seen on T.V." to help old people out of the shower) Someone who has built one of these rigs did you attach any weight to the end of rig (opposite end of the camera) I've only used it on my friends volvo. I'm so scared this thing is going to come cashing down dropping my camera. I'm trying to build up the courage to put it on my M5....

this was a really fun thing to build and even more fun to take photos with. I highly recommend you try it.

Here are some pics of the rig and this thing i built out of PVC pipe to help protect my camera.... i dunno if it will help or not...

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

Vibration is movement. Movement is transferred just like sound or light. It's a wave form.

To control it you have to isolate it. From what I see of above, you have a solid connection on your cable. Try to put a tension spring in it from like on a door. It's a compression coil spring with two brackets passed down the middle. The cable attaches to the brackets. The brackets then compress the spring allowing it a little bit of flexibility.

These are also used for tensioning electric fences on farms.

If you can create some kind of isolator bushing for the main arm where it attaches to the mount, that would seriously help as well.

I hope you didn't build it all for that Volvo.. ;)

That PVC contraption is just adding extra weight to your camera making it more likely that the suction cap fails. That is the real risk here. Consider adding counterweights. Suction caps will come off when pried off at one end which is what is happening with the distribution of weight. They don't come off by sliding very easily so a counter weight will go a long way to protecting your camera.

Also remember, slow speeds, and steady movement. Even if a cheaper DSLR falls from that height it should only scratch the body at worst. Put a bit of carpet or something on the ground if you're worried.

I heard these cars are moving very slow when rig photos are taken.. maybe you were just going too fast?

Same thing I was thinking. Is the vibration from the engine? I would try a few without the engine running. The car doesn't have to be going very fast for it to look like it is.

honestly bro i would not feel safe at all putting any of my gear on there lol

There is something wrong with the suction of the car camera rig. You are suggested to hunt for a new suction with good quality. It is very convenient for you to seach for it from the internet. Having changed a good suction, your problem will be dealt with soon. Hope you can do it soon.

I heard these cars are moving very slow when rig photos are taken.. maybe you were just going too fast?

Yeah I agree! from the articles i have read on this most of the time the car is in neutral, and someone just pushes the car while a driver inside simply steers it.

and most rigs i ahve seen together cost about 300, but if you can do it for less and your camera is safe, then why not!

READ THIS: http://www.diyphotography.net/take-cool-car-photos-with-a-diy-specialized-car-rig

a guy on a car forum im on a lot has some amazing rig shots. i think he said he cruises about 5-10 mph.

i would love to do some rig shots with my car, but i dont think i could bring myself to stick somethin like that on my hood. might try on the t top or somethin

Nearly, forget something about this rig. I am afraid this rig is too big. Therefore, the traffic policement will not allow the automobile on the road. What is more, the speed of the automobile will be slowed down a lot. Now there are various kinds of car video recorder on the market. They are not expensive but convenient. The problems I mentioned can be avoided.

To reduce the vibration do not have the car power itself around, push it! You will need someone to push and perhaps a ND filter since you will be using a very long shutter. Additionally locate your suction cups near the edges of the body work, they flex WAY less.

I have a smaller boom on my rig so it allows me to drive the car will little vibration. Still pushing the car would have gotten me much better results than these taken two years ago....

PS sorry for the post editing in these, they were done on a terrible screen so they may have way too much contrast and color...

3764448490_cf65d5c9aa_z.jpg

3763649095_ff59a351e5_z.jpg

At first I have to say I was slightly let down my my night effort. After looking at the picture for the second time I noticed something very interesting. Since the car was manual you can literally see each shift in the light trails. Its almost as if the light trails are a telemetry readout.

Last edited:
A clean unwaxed car, a solid pole that's lightweight and stiff, and a good set of cups are what's needed. My pole is a bit heavy, but I use manfrotto avenger suction cups and super clamps on a pole I made from home depot. I wrapped the pole in foam insulation just incase anything were to happen. I've used this setup on several cars and have never seen paint or structural damage.

This was my 2nd attempt. Let's just say I learned more about layers and masking in Photoshop in one week doing this than I did in 4 years of general photography.

That turned out really well! I was not aware that manfrotto made suction cups, I need to buy some!

Most reactions

Back