car interior...PITA shot!!!

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so i wanted a nice shot of my interior, and it ended up being a nightmare of a shot. I had the camera on a tripod, i even set it to go off after a 2second delay so that my finger wouldn't shake it after shutter release. Only used the car's ambient lighting, b/c I didn't think i'd be there for long. I'm sorry this is the only pic i have with me right now.

Camera: sony a300 with 18/70mm lens. I was at 18mm, and I figured to get the best depth of field, cranked it up to f20 and took exposures at 8/10/15/20/25 seconds. Nothing I did seemed to help the blur on the lights? Is that b/c those lights are actually twinkling, so-to-speak?

Issues: couldn't focus much past the shifter and all the lights seem blury?

******edited with below info*******
Image 1A) 8 seconds @ F3.5
phoenixInterior.jpg

image 1b) 100% pixels:
phoenixInterior2.jpg

Image 2) 30 seconds @ F11, 100% pixels and a burst of camera flash on lowest setting-notice how the focus is lame here? I don't get how a smaller aperture makes for crappier DOF?

phoenixInterior3.jpg

Last edited:
IDK what it is but there is some weird hue to the left of the steering wheel and around the shifter. It is a pretty cool neat idea i think.

probably what happened when i tried to "dodge" out some under exposed stuff. I processed this in RAW, then took it to photoshop for more work. I noticed that when i would dodge things, they would turn blue/gray =(

Maybe try a filter to remove the haze? If you can get that fixed this shot will be a keeper. Nice to see another Firebird afficiando around the boards.

Probably had some movement on the 30 second exposure, that's the only way it'll be blurred other than the focus being off in the first place.. I doubt it's a lens problem at F11, it should be fairly sharp there.

Try it again at F11 or F16, firstly at ISO100, then one at ISO800 then compare sharpness.. it must be very slight movement i would have thought, although the F11 one does look fairly noisy.. could be that?

Honestly, overall I thought the first picture looked quite cool. Did you do this with the interior dome light? Does look like you have some focus problems, but AF doesn't tend to work well in dark conditions, so you may need to manual focus it a bit.

BTW... lose that keychain. It's a TOTAL mess. Pull your primary key off and just put that in (I assume you have it in so you can get the interior lights? If you don't need it, then I would drop the keys entirely)

Most reactions

Back