Car photography------need help

Onefaststang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey since my intrestest in cars i enjoy taking pics of my car and the car scence. I always see those amazing pics of cars and stuff and always wonder how they get the great pics. Also since i have a mac i have some photo editing options. I was wondering if any of u people have taken pics of cars and have any helpful hints and tips.

Here's an article written by a car photographer that gives a bit of insight on the basics. He talks about composition, selecting a background, exposure, etc. Good article for beginners.

Car Photography Tutorial

I have been photographing cars for a few years now. Biggest thing is experience, just keep going out and shooting. The most difficult part is choosing the location and time of the day. Mid-day sun will kill all the curves and make paint look flat and bright. Try shooting either in the morning or in the evening before the sun has come down. If only time available is mid-day, then try to find some shade. I personally love some of the shots I've taken at night. There you either need flash, light painting, or just use light thats already there (street lamp, windows, etc.)
Walk around the car and find details that make it stand out, if the car is long, you may want to try to capture that in your photograph. If the car is low, shoot from up high so it looks even lower. Just the opposite goes for a lifted truck.
Background should not be overbearing. You want the viewer to go straight to the car and not the interesting looking building behind it. There are exceptions to this: if you are trying to tell a story, for example a couple getting their bags out of a car at the hotel. You need to capture the whole scene so the viewer knows whats going on. Otherwise I try to either blur out the background or shoot against the wall or grass or bushes, anything that doesn't take away from the car. Another element to consider that I am guilty of doing all the time is having your background blend with the car. My car is gray, and at times I shoot it against a gray wall (you see the problem there?), luckily you can use PhotoShop or other editing software to change the color of the wall to make the car "pop".
Equipment...I've spent a lot of time shotting wide angle, pictures turned out great, but after a while that gets boring. Experiment with different focal lenghts. 3/4 shot of a long car at 17mm will definitely make the car seem even longer. I use Neutral Density filter on all my car photographs. This enables you to play around with reflections on car's paint and windows as well as the sky, water, etc.
Other than that, look through magazines to see what shots stand out, and keep on shooting.

Thanks that was very helpful

i think half of car photography is angles. i love shooting my car, it's what got me into photography originally. good focus is also important, some girl had a very long thread about cars with a lot of examples ill try to find

i think half of car photography is angles. i love shooting my car, it's what got me into photography originally. good focus is also important, some girl had a very long thread about cars with a lot of examples ill try to find

That would be great, I'd like to see that too. If you want some great inspiration, I've included some car photo sites that I frequently visit.

Matt Watkinson - Photographer

DEJAN SOKOLOVSKI - PHOTOGRAPHY

NOTBLAND.COM - The Work of Automotive Photographer Webb Bland

Bummer, no photos showed up.

Wow thanks for all the info guys can wait to get some pics of my stang just dont know when since its always snowing lol

focus is off on all of em, you need a tripod for night time

Yeah i know i keep trying to get good pics but they keep coming up with bad focus im gonna look into a tripod to get better shoots

Focus is bad, lighting is harsh, and honestly they aren't all that interesting. Sorry...but keep at it!

Focus is bad, lighting is harsh, and honestly they aren't all that interesting. Sorry...but keep at it!

Yeah i know it was a last minute thing after me and my friends washed are cars and my point and shoot didnt help out at all

Most reactions

Back