Car shopping.. what do you drive?

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my 2006 Ford Explorer is on its last legs and I'm ready to replace it.. I'm planning to shop around for the next few months to decide exactly what I want. One consideration is how my photography gear will fit into the cargo area (looking at smaller vehicles.. I think) so I figured I'd ask some fellow photographers..

What do you drive? Why? Did your photography play any role in your decision?

Myself, Chevy Traverse, Wife, Chevy Equinox. Traverse; needed room for golf bags 4-5. Lots and lots of cargo room.
Equnox, roomy, but not wide enough in cargo area for golf bags. Happy with both vehicles, 6 cylinders not to easy on gas.

Just bought a 2017 Mazda 3 hatch. Love it! Why that car? A lot of practical reasons - price, value, sales deal, reliability, gas economy - but the bottom line for me is that I love to drive it.

Photography had no factor in my decision - anything I would be carrying would fit in a messenger bag and I don’t go off-roading. Having said that, the hatch is really great to have. I've had the car for 2 months and at least 3 or 4 times already, I've been very grateful I bought a hatchback. I'm sure it would be good for carrying photo gear.

A close second choice was a Subaru Impreza hatch, which I would also recommend.

Last edited:
Just bought a 2017 Mazda 3 hatch. Love it! Why that car? A lot of practical reasons - price, value, sales deal, reliability, gas economy - but the bottom line for me is that I love to drive it.

Photography had no factor in my decision - anything I would be carrying would fit in a messenger bag and I don’t go off-roading. Having said that, the hatch is really great to have. I've had the car for 2 months and at least 3 or 4 times already, I've been very grateful I bought a hatchback. I'm sure it would be good for carrying photo gear.

Funny you say that!

My two front runners at the moment are the Mazda CX-3 and the Subaru crosstrek.. essentially the slightly jacked up versions of the two cars you mentioned.

I'm also into kayaking/mountain biking and as such get off the beaten path fairly often so the extra ground clearance is important.

I drive my lovely wife bug nuts.

Oh, cars. Take Sumi - 2014 Camry. MLW's car so, no, photography did not play a part but a bag and tripod fit just fine.

Funny you say that!

My two front runners at the moment are the Mazda CX-3 and the Subaru crosstrek.. essentially the slightly jacked up versions of the two cars you mentioned.

I'm also into kayaking/mountain biking and as such get off the beaten path fairly often so the extra ground clearance is important.

Both good choices. I don't need the extra space or clearance so I prefer smaller cars, but those two would have been on my radar if I wanted a crossover- type vehicle.

Don't know if you've test driven either one, but I'll say again that I love driving the Mazda. It's just so composed and responsive.

I have to say that even though the final word was based on how much I liked the car, another part of my decision was based on my experience in the dealerships. The Mazda folks were very attentive and competent without being pushy. I drove cars at two different Subaru dealerships, and they were both super aggressive. The second one especially had this really bustling, disorienting atmosphere that seemed designed to keep you slightly dizzy. I don’t respond to the hard sell at all, so that sort of turned me off the idea of spending money on the Subaru. If all-wheel drive was more important to me, I'd have sucked it up, but it wasn't, so I didn't. ;)

Maybe not practical but hella fun to drive. I just took this cell pic in the rain yesterday in Longbeach....that's the Queen Mary

16708200_10209672230655754_9107018761493354774_n.jpg

For the road - 2016 F350 Lariat, Crew Cab, 4x4 dually. 6.7 diesel. For around town - 2013 Ford Escape SE V6, For Play and Woods, 1987 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 (restored).

I have a 2013 Mazda 3 hatch. I've put 75000 on it and I've changed the oil and replaced the tires. That's it. Leo is right. It's a joy to drive.

Want it? You'd have to come pick it up here, but I'm getting ready to transition to a man van because I have larger people hauling responsibilities these days, haha.

For day-to-day, 2013 Ford Escape. For weekend stuff, a 2011 Jeep Cherokee. Unless it's with the dogs, then it's the 2000 Suburban.

In all cases, they're 4WD. I live in a heavy snow/ice prone area of Colorado. Photography was definitely a consideration. Storage is always enclosed and secured. And some jobs require stands and more grip gear. The Escape does fine for that.

And a Suburban just for dogs? Yeah, 2 Malamutes over 100 lbs each...

Funny you say that!

Get the subaru, depending on how tall you are I'd go for an outback over the crosstrek. I am 6'2'' and the crosstrek was pretty tight.

My "trekking" vehicle is a 2009 Ford Taurus X suv with 115,000 and no problems. This was the platform for the newer Explorers. I can fit my bicycles, telescope, camping stuff, etc in the back. 3 row seating though a bit cramped for adults. Not like my Honda Odysseys from years past though for capacity.

My newer driver is a 2014 Lincoln MkZ Hybrid. Love this car so far. And I've taken a few pictures of it here and there. :)

2011 Subaru Outback. Wife has a Honda HRV.

Wife was deciding between the HRV and the Crosstrek; found the HRV to be cheaper with more features. The lower end Subaru models tend to be quite utilitarian, so not sure if you're willing to pay more for features that come standard on like every other car.

But Subarus are pretty kick ass.

Photography did not come into play with choosing my car. However, there is a ridiculous amount of space in my Outback for junk moving.

A pink ford fiesta. Yes, I get laughed at. But I drove to visit the Zombie family and all the way back home (700km) for $32.00.

Depends on the day and weather. I drive either a '05 Chevy Tahoe, a '13 GMC Acadia or my '01 Jeep Wrangler.

None of these have anything to do with photography, except when considering the weather and how far I am going to take photos. The Tahoe and Acadia were bought with family concerns and the Jeep was bought for me for fun and the family enjoys riding around with the top and doors off of it in the spring/summer time.

Most reactions

Back