Car shots at night...

Zach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't been on here in a while, so I hope I'm posting in the right section. I've been trying to get some night shots of my Chevelle lately. The lighting is from street lights/the flash and I'm using brick walls for the background.

Needless to say, all of the pics are coming out horrible. I'm using a Nikon Coolpix 4600 (more than likely my problem.) I've tried using all of the different preset modes and this is the best I could do lol.

When I go back, I'll be sure to position the car better. I don't want gutters growing out of the trunk... Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong? All suggestions are welcome.

DSCN2489.jpg

Not sure what control you have over your camera. One thing would be to adjust the white balance if you can, you may find a better WB setting in there to get rid of the sodium tint. A tripod is essential at night to get rid of camera shake.. if you can sort those two out they should come out a lot better.

it looks like you have a good background and setting and the lighting could be good i think its just the angle cause it looks like a normal photo i think you can grab some real attention on the subject if you try another approach

K Pugh, I have the WB setting on Auto now, but I have the options of: Daylight, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Cloudy and Speedlight. Which one should I use?

try out daylight i think that might come out good but if i were you id try em all so you can choose from the best

Two simple fixes: get a tripod/something to stabilize the camera to fix the blur, and shoot on Tungsten/Icandescent White Balance to fix the orange.

a tripod or a steady surface AND your self timer that way you wont shake the camera when you press the button-also put it on night mode to see how that effects it too

Thanks everyone, I'll go out again this week and do that.

As others said.. Get yourself a tripod before attempting any shots at night.

K Pugh, I have the WB setting on Auto now, but I have the options of: Daylight, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Cloudy and Speedlight. Which one should I use?

Cloudy seems to be a great general WB and it's what I use 90% of the time (I fix the wb in PP when needed). For night shots you will probably want to try incandescent like bethany mentioned. Click HERE for a good white balance guide.

Another flaw with the shot is that there is motion blur. As Bethany & others already mentioned, get a tripod or put your camera on a stable surface. It will get you a much sharper lookin shot.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to head out tomorrow night and try again. I have a tripod, I just didn't know night shots were so sensitive to motion.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to head out tomorrow night and try again. I have a tripod, I just didn't know night shots were so sensitive to motion.

Yeah. I'm still a newbie myself, but I understand it doesn't take much AT ALL to take a photo from sharp to fuzzy, especially at night. But look on the bright side, at least your subject can be reposed. I shot a photo of a deer that turned out fuzzy, and I've been waiting for another deer for a month now :)

But with such a beautiful subject (is that a 70?), a tripod, and a little understanding of how your camera works, you'll get a beautiful photo in no time. Have fun!

P.S. If your camera has a timer on it, use it. Even with a tripod, your finger pressing the shutter can cause blur. If you find this to be the case, use your self-timer so you can remove your hand and the camera can shoot. I know you didn't ask for this, but I thought I'd give you a bit of unsolicited advice from a fellow newbie (I learned this when taking photos of the moon).

When I go back, I'll be sure to position the car better. I don't want gutters growing out of the trunk... Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong? All suggestions are welcome.

From the EXIF data, it's showing a 2 second exposure, which would explain the blur, but it's almost certainly also running a wide open aperture, which could also cause problems with getting the whole car in focus.

Fiddling white balance and brightness can help a bit, but mostly you're going to need more light on it and a stable tripod for those long exposures. Of course, shooting a shiny car in full sun has its own problems, but if you can get it out on a day with light to moderate overcast, that can work well.

Thanks Senor and KD5, all advice is welcome and yes it's a '70. There are plenty of deer to "shoot" lol in my part of GA, we're overpopulaed!

I don't have anything to add but nice car :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back