care

cypilk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i should keep film in the refrigerator to keep it under 75 degrees ?... wouldn't it get too cold?

I keep mine in the freezer. Not sure the temp, but I know it gets frozen pretty good, and I've had no trouble.

Usually the film box ot canister might have a temperature direction on it.

keep mine in the freezer. Not sure the temp, but I know it gets frozen pretty good, and I've had no trouble

See now you've always told me to keep my film in the freezer, and it's not that I don't trust you or anything photong, but I'm wondering the same think as cypilk. I've recently read that low temperatures can hurt the film, making it brittle. I'm left a little bit confused.

ormia said:
keep mine in the freezer. Not sure the temp, but I know it gets frozen pretty good, and I've had no trouble

See now you've always told me to keep my film in the freezer, and it's not that I don't trust you or anything photong, but I'm wondering the same think as cypilk. I've recently read that low temperatures can hurt the film, making it brittle. I'm left a little bit confused.

I defrost it for a few hrs at least.

Either way, I haven't had a problem.

EDIT:

http://www.vividlight.com/articles/1309.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/film.htm

I've also kept film in the freezer. Just make sure you give it enough time to warm up before using.

Fridgerated film may be a myth. It is my understanding that if you bought it out of the cooler, then keep it in the cooler. I think it is more about the emulsion#. Meaning that if there is color shift it is generally due subtle details of the dye process.

Commercially, buying film in bulk (with the same emulsion#) is economical. If you are spending that kind of money make sure you buy it from the cooler. Especially if it is E-6.

Generally Modern films do not seem to be fragile.

Refridgerate to slow the aging of film. Freeze it to stop the aging. As long as the film is good (not aged or heat or x-ray damaged) you can put it in the refridgerator or freezer at any time. Give it 1/2 an hour to an hours to reach room temperature before shooting. This isn't a myth. It's something that reputable companies and photographers have been doing for years.

It doesn't completely stop the aging. Gamma radiation and such will expose film, unless your freezer is lined with lead. Very-high-speed film will still fog over time, but slow film will take ages.

markc said:
It doesn't completely stop the aging. Gamma radiation and such will expose film, unless your freezer is lined with lead. Very-high-speed film will still fog over time, but slow film will take ages.

True. Most photographers aren't going to keep film 10 or 20 years out of date though. I would call freezing or refrigerating your film a safe bet and a much better idea than leaving it at room temperature or under worse conditions.

Most reactions

Back