Caribana Parade! (9 photos)

Antarctican

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Caribana, held in Toronto, is the largest Caribbean Festival in North America. Numerous soca and mas troups, with their scantily-and-brightly clad dancers and giant sound systems blaring reggae/soca music, participate in a huge parade near the end of the one-month long festival. It is estimated that 1.5 million visitors came to Toronto to attend the events this year. Here are a few pictures of the dancers and costumes from the big parade last weekend. (Note: due to security issues, the entire parade route is fenced in so these were taken through wire fences. When the sun was directly overhead. NOT the best way to try to take pictures!)

img7615pcrkm9.jpg

img7918priw8.jpg

img7963prmi7.jpg

img8025pcrrj0.jpg

img8065prbu3.jpg

img7909prer8.jpg

7. Men, and children, participate too but they are definitely outnumbered by the women
img7910prqq4.jpg

img8060prak0.jpg

img8037prax8.jpg

Those are nice and bright. You can see how the fences affect the pictures, as there is just a slight softness to them that you wouldn't expect in that light, which is a pity. Trouble is that these days, everyone is running scared of getting involved with the legal professions.

Yeah, I was very disappointed that they weren't sharper, but besides having to shoot through the fence with the lens right up to it, people were always leaning on (or even drumming on) the fence, leading to a LOT of blurry pics. Oh well. Next year I think I'm going to be in the parade, so won't have to shoot through the fence.

I really like #1. I was in the Bahamas last week and just missed the Junkanoo festival. I would have like to see that.

We're gonna drive up just for the occasion! Can't wait 'til next year!:thumbup:

(Pssst, Jeanne, how far is Toronto from Detroit?)

Yeah Robsarge, about a 4 hour drive, depending on how you feel about sticking to the speed limit, and how long is the line at the border.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

1 4 and 7 definitely take the cake IMO. You did wonderfully to bring out the excitement and joy of the parade in these.

#5's outfit is AMAZING!! What a beautiful parade!! You are so lucky to have seen and photographed it. Now, as far as photography goes, I like 1 and 8 the best because of the lighting and composition.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back