Caribbean C&C

laxb0rder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please tell me what you think of these pictures i took on a cruise.
IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4529.jpg

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_4450.jpg

IMG_4449.jpg

IMG_4448.jpg

IMG_4298.jpg

IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4289.jpg

IMG_4297.jpg

IMG_4318.jpg

IMG_4402.jpg

rather small so makes it hard to critique. But here goes :

1. nothing really noteworthy. silhouetted palm branch.
2. nice, but again, too small. would like to see some detail.
3. no real subject to catch my eye.
4. could be interesting were it bigger and showed detail.
5. would be nice were the palm tree completely in shot and whatever that is on the right (black silhouette) were not there. again, would like to see it bigger.
6. probably my fave of your set.
7-9. not big enough to catch my eye. could be nice with great detail.
10. would be nice without dead tree on the bottom.
11-13. these would be nice were they bigger (see a pattern here ;))

i agree with the above post, they just need to be bigger. 12 is my favorite, i love the color of the water.

thanks next time i put them up ill make sure they are bigger, and yes bigger 7-9 have a lot of detail and are pretty sharp.

You have some strong compositions here and your exposure is very good as well.

A couple suggestions I have would be,
-mind your edges, dont just look at the subject, look at everything in the frame and decide if its helping the subject or distracting from it. (ill use the bottom picture as my example, the tree in the top left and also in the bottom left pull your eye away from the subject.

-try crouching down low or getting a higher vantage point rather then just shooting from standing position (#8 for example)

-pay attention to the position of the horizon and try to make it divide the frame in thirds whenever possible.

Nice work Keep it up!
Looks like a beautiful holiday!

JC

Great set of pics but I personally like #6 from the larger batch. Where in the carribean is this?

The beach pictures are St Thomas and the city pictures are Dominican Republic.

The beach pictures are St Thomas and the city pictures are Dominican Republic.

awesome.. how was your Dominican Republic stay??? thats where i was born and raised.. :D

While these are all fairy nicely composed the one with the most interest to me from a photographic standpoint is the last.

I assume that your camera puts out images in the 3:4 format but you need to be aware that most small prints are made in either 2:3 format and larger prints in 4:5 so take that into account when composing.

First thing that occurs to me is that the horizontal is off by about a degree and would be pretty noticeable in a print of any size.

Note that there is a good amount of useless space at the top and sides that can be cropped and make the composition much tighter
and sized to print better.

beach3vq6.jpg

These photos look both great and ordinary. Great because they have great color, good focus and appeal (we'd all like to be hanging out somewhere like this).
But, they look ordinary because they look like any tourist right off the boat could have taken them. Nothing makes me say WOW!. My suggestion for your next trip is:
- concentrate on composition. Think rule of thirds
- look for contrasts - shapes, colors, shades
- shoot at dawn and dusk
- separate foreground and background
- give us some human interest (scantily clad, maybe ;)

Happy shooting!

Most reactions

Back