carnival started in Germany today @11:11:11 in 11.11

Frank F.

engineering art
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I came by and caught some of the color with my camera. Enjoy!

small_PB110057_v1.JPG

small_PB110046_v1.JPG

small_PB110065_v1.JPG

small_PB110111_v1.JPG

small_PB110086_v1.JPG

small_PB110075_v1.JPG

small_PB110019_v1.JPG

small_PB110007_v1.JPG

small_PB110034_v1.JPG

small_PB110042_v1.JPG

Last edited:
11-11-11...isn't that the end of World War I and its date and time? The eleventh day, at the eleventh hour of the eleventh month? Armistice Day? In the USA, President Eisenhower declared this to be "Veteran's Day", way back in 1954.

Derrel: No, it is just a "Schnapszahl"...

11-11-11...isn't that the end of World War I and its date and time? The eleventh day, at the eleventh hour of the eleventh month? Armistice Day? In the USA, President Eisenhower declared this to be "Veteran's Day", way back in 1954.

You Germans know how to throw a party!

On November 11, at exactly 11:11 pm, the Carnival season begins!
The reason for this date is at the number 11, which is traditionally regarded as the number of fools and madmen.

The carnival took place every year just before the start of Lent, the forty days before Easter in which Christians were allowed to eat meat.
Possibly the name comes from the Latin expression carne vale, that means "farewell to the flesh"
From Italy, the Carnival hit over into neighboring countries and gradually spread to the rest of Europe.
The start of the carnival season, in almost every Carnival celebrating city / town in Europe, is done with a certain ceremony.
Carnival has already emerged in the 10th century and this tradition is celebrated throughout Europe,
including Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Spain, France...
I can ensure you, not only in Germany people know how to celebrate Carnival!
Carnival has actually nothing to do with World War I or your Veteran's Day.

Eleventh Month, Eleventh Day, Eleventh Hour by Joseph E. Persico | PenguinRandomHouse.com

I guess this is what was confusing me...the eleven thousand or so men that died on the eleventh day of the eleventh month eleventh hour, as World War I was ended...

The Carnival aspect has not made its way to all of the world. Sorry about the confusion, but to parts of the world, this day is not ma fun one or one for partying and celebrating, it's a sad day.
A day of remembrance, but only less than 100 years in length, far less than the Carnival tradition.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back