Cars!

FattyMcJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, it's been a while since I've submitted anything for the TPF community to C&C, so here are some of my latest works. Comments (good or bad) welcome!

1) Rig shot, still learning this technique and learning to trust my camera on the end of a pole. Double © because my friend (also a photographer) and I both built the rig used and collaborated on the shot.
4952947109_a271c8434a_z.jpg

2) An HDR using 4 exposures: 3 for the car/rocks 1 for the sky.
4919152324_25b1375a67_z.jpg

3) Not an HDR, but 2 exposures fused in CS4.
4919152696_96b741ba69_z.jpg

Thanks for looking guys & gals! :thumbup:

Bump to the top, and I'll add these two for your consideration:

I was trying a new style of shot I've seen others do, quite successfully, but I'm not sure how I feel about the composition in these. I had to use a higher POV to accentuate the motor and transparent hood, which severely limited the framing at this location. Thoughts?

4)
4918554595_6884d2479d_z.jpg

5)
4919152456_d6222e952e_z.jpg

I love the rig shot! Good job on that one.

Both the HDR and fused picture are ok. They look like average automotive HDR pictures. They might look better if your fantastic rig shot wasn't directly above them :lol:

Thanks for looking and commenting guys! Indeed, I'm quite proud of that rig shot. And with the kit lens no less :)

Im not much into car shots but i actually like these. The first 1 is cool but i think its cropped too tight, its got good motion but it looks stuck in a box. maybe its just me. and i really like the rock background in 3. think their all pretty cool except their Hondas.

The first picture is outstanding quality and capturing. I'm in doubt how can we take the photo like that?

HDR is over done, but I like everything else.
HDR isn't for everyone, but thank you for the kind comment! :mrgreen:

Im not much into car shots but i actually like these. The first 1 is cool but i think its cropped too tight, its got good motion but it looks stuck in a box. maybe its just me. and i really like the rock background in 3. think their all pretty cool except their Hondas.
Wow, a non-fan! Thank you! :thumbup:

The first picture is outstanding quality and capturing. I'm in doubt how can we take the photo like that?
It's completely legit, done by using a "rig" of sorts to mount the camera to the car.

To do it right, can be quite expensive, but the results are amazing (if you're a fan of cars lol)!

I think the HDR shot would have been stronger with the car angled the way it was, but on the left side of the frame. Otherwise, nice work with everything else. How much did the car rig cost to make when it was all said and done?

I like the first shot a lot! Good job.

HDR is very subjective. You did pretty good with these. The only reall issue I see is a little haloing around the rocks where they meet the sky. Which program are you using for the HDR? Most with have an adjustment to get rid of that.

That is a nice location for a shoot.

For the rig shot, I would recommend experimenting with diffrent angles and lenses to achieve different results.

I think the HDR shot would have been stronger with the car angled the way it was, but on the left side of the frame. Otherwise, nice work with everything else. How much did the car rig cost to make when it was all said and done?

The rig is running us, my friend and I, about $300, and more once we get a Magic Arm. It helps sharing the cost lol

I like the first shot a lot! Good job.

HDR is very subjective. You did pretty good with these. The only reall issue I see is a little haloing around the rocks where they meet the sky. Which program are you using for the HDR? Most with have an adjustment to get rid of that.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not big into HDR (I just play with it sometimes) so I'm still learning Photomatix, but I actually used CS4 to mask in the sky. That part is not actually HDR, it's real. But I'll work on the halo's, now that you mention it :thumbup:

That is a nice location for a shoot.

For the rig shot, I would recommend experimenting with diffrent angles and lenses to achieve different results.

Thanks! The rig shot was done in a parking garage, since we only had 2 people we used the downhill portions of the garage to roll the car having a driver and myself walking next to the camera with the remote tripping the shutter.

Unfortunately, I'm unemployed so all I have for wide angle right now is my kit 18-55, but my friend has the Sigma 10-20 and is getting some great shots with the distortion and funky angles.

Care to post pics of the rig and how you built it? This is an open forum :p

Indeed, I'll take some shots of the rig on and off the car during our next shoot. Should be by the end of the week.

But here's a quick parts list:

2x F1000 Suction Cups
(F1000 Avenger Pump Suction Cup with a 5/8" Baby Swivel Spigot.)

3x Manfrotto Super Clamps
(035RL Manfrotto Super Clamp with Standard Stud (#2900))

1x 9' Electrical conduit pipe, 1" diameter
(no link, go to Home Depot)

1x Manfrotto Grip Action ball head [Insert whatever head you've got]
(322RC2 Manfrotto Improved Grip Action Ball Head with Quick Release - Supports 11 lb)

which will soon be replaced by

1x Manfrotto Magic Arm
(143A Manfrotto 143A Magic Arm w/Camera Platform (#2930))

Most reactions

Back