Cascade springs

Aloicious

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographywild.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's a shot I took from a little drive we took today, a place called Cascade springs, which has this small flowing creek that empties into a small pool with a lot of various plant life, and a little nature walkway around it.

cascade_springs_zps94c19fb4.jpg~original

Here's another, this I wanted to process a little darker from a different shot at the same location (first pic has a 3 stop ND on it, this has a 10 stop), also I kinda liked a square crop on this one too. though I'm not completely satisfied with either, I think I may need to work with them a little more

cascade_springs1_zps4159811b.jpg~original

Last edited:
Ok, last edit for tonight. square, lighter, no-terrible sky. I'm still not sure on it...any thoughts?

cascade_springs2_zpsff98f7b9.jpg~original

morning here :)

I like the second one the best, but I'm not liking the square crop. I feel like the water is "stuck" in that crop, with no place to flow...
that's jmo, others will probably disagree

thanks, unfortunately that crop is at the bottom of the full frame, full width, on shot #2, so the only additional room I could add with a different crop would be at the top of the frame, though I could darken one of the other shots to a similar (though probably not as much) degree.

I actually prefer the third crop. The no-sky really works for me.

Sometimes I will take a wider shot than I'd like, so I have more latitude with cropping when I look at the image on the computer screen. But I shoot wider as well as the shot I originally wanted.

Peter

p.s. Did I say, "great photo"? - Great Photo!

different opinions of course... I'm curious what else will people say

In my opinion...........I think your shutter was way too slow, its one thing to get silky water, but to me this is just blown out blobs of nothing. It almost looks like smoke or fog.

I do however like your last edit the best out of all of them.

Just wish I could see a tad bit more detail in the water.

jmo

In my opinion...........I think your shutter was way too slow, its one thing to get silky water, but to me this is just blown out blobs of nothing. It almost looks like smoke or fog.

jmo
What he said.

I actually prefer the third crop. The no-sky really works for me.

Sometimes I will take a wider shot than I'd like, so I have more latitude with cropping when I look at the image on the computer screen. But I shoot wider as well as the shot I originally wanted.

Peter

p.s. Did I say, "great photo"? - Great Photo!

Thanks all,

focussedpete - yeah the sky is what really bothers me in the first 2, the first on had to be recovered but just looks terrible IMO. the second didn't need recovery but it was just uninteresting and still somewhat bright and attention taking. I like the contrast in the second, but it was much darker beforehand and I didn't want to raise the exposure too much, but it still feels a little too underexposed as far as the rocks and plants go.

sscarmack - I agree a little shorter shutter speed would have been nice too, at least to have more to work with if nothing else. I don't mind the 'foggy water' look on this one personally but I understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately time was a constraint on this and I got pushed off the little bridge I was laying on so I didn't have much time to take more than a few shots. its one of those days where I really wanted to get a solid shot but didn't so I'm kindof just having fun with what I did get, these aren't going in a portfolio or anything, just more like practice.

Ok, last edit then I'm done fiddling with this one. same shot as the first and third, but cropped 8x10 horizontal, increased contrast focusing on the water contrast. limited sky but not eliminated, and a few other minor tweaks. probably my favorite of the 4, still not perfect but oh well, next time I'm up there perhaps I can get something better.

cascade_springs3_zpsac9026b9.jpg~original

I do however like your last edit the best out of all of them.

jmo

Thirded

I do like that 4th shot. The foggy water doesn't bother me as much as it does some, I think its interesting

Most reactions

Back