Cascades early winter - Newbie C&C request

Blrdvision

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some shots of the Cascades I took a couple of days ago was winter is setting in. What I found interesting is that the landscape shots look completely B&W. There was absolutely NO color on this day.

Any and all comments are welcome.

The subject here was the cobweb-like snow on the rocks but I was having trouble emphasizing them because I thought cutting the trees in half might look strange or be distracting.
goldcreeksnowrocksmed.jpg

I shot a few of these including one that included a bit of the foreground in order to offset the subject a bit instead of having it dead center. However, after looking at all of them, this might be a case where centering works since the mountain is so symmetrical. I like it better than the offset ones.
goldcrksmall.jpg

My son is always smiling for the camera.....
goldcrksmallb.jpg

Wow the second one is awesome! I think I would prefer the mountain off-centre but I'd have to see it first...

Thanks.
Here are the other 2 versions:

mtnoffsetb.jpg

mtnoffseta.jpg

Nice photos, Love the mountains!
I hope you don't mind, you do have that your photos are ok to edit, so I just thought I'd show you what a little post processing can do for your images. In Photoshop I played with curves a bit, & increased the contrast.

mtnoffsetacopy.jpg

Those are all very nice! I do think I prefer the mountains off center actually, makes for a more interesting shot imho. Also, are those really shot in color? You were dead on when you said they look B&W. They really do!

I hope you don't mind, you do have that your photos are ok to edit, so I just thought I'd show you what a little post processing can do for your images. In Photoshop I played with curves a bit, & increased the contrast.

Wow! This looks great...what does adjusting the 'curves' do?

Those are all very nice! I do think I prefer the mountains off center actually, makes for a more interesting shot imho. Also, are those really shot in color? You were dead on when you said they look B&W. They really do!
Thanks!
Yes, oddly enough they were indeed shot in color. It is not unusual to see that kind of lighting up there when the only visible vegetation is very dark spruce and fir trees and everything else is snow with 4 mile thick cloud cover. Sometimes, if you are able find some color it can lead to interesting shots because the subject stands out strongly. But, unless it is a person with a jacket or a bird or bunny, it is tough to find color....

Yes, feel free to edit! That is one of the ways I'm learning.

I originally did a bit of post processing on that one but then decided not to because I though it made the shot look cheerier than it really was at the time. However, your edit does look a bit better.
Are the "curves" you refer to the photoshop filter that allows you to manipulate the line in the box and make it curve in different ways thus altering different aspects of hue and lighting?

Most reactions

Back