Caught in the act

What photo should I enter into a contest

• Total voters
Wow, I X L R 8 , that's quite a way to come in as a new member, attacking someone who's been a member here for over a year. Take it easy, or your time here will be short.

IXL, this is a forum where people post their pics and request advice, exactly like the OP did, which he showed appreciation for.

As for my opinion, they're tricky captures, but not great photos in my humble opinion. As far as which is better, they both have good attributes and bad attributes. I easily prefer #2 the best... you could help it out by applying some unsharp mask to the bee... he's a bit out of focus it seems to me. The noise in #1 is really bad, and the color of the feeder is overwhelming. It is an interesting perspective... it's just too bad it wasn't a flower.

Referring to what is highlighted BOLDLY.
And that my new found friends, IS HOW YOU DO THAT.
What you see here is a perfectly executed presentation of TACT.
An opinion and a very informative, tactful one, at that.
On a points system 3 judges scored it a 10 and the Russian judge who can't even read English gave it a 9.9.

Meanwhile Edouble basks in the glory of his score riding high in the negative value of (negative - 4). This of course equates to all four judges being confused in scoring Edoubles opinion while at the same time finding it ,tasteless.
Rather than scoring 0's, they hated it so much that they took scoring to a new level, awarding negative points.

From a photography prospective, Edouble is now overexposed and underexposed at the same time which we all previously thought, impossible.
Proving once again that in the realm of the possible nothing is impossible.
A new barrier has been breached in the time space continuum and we all have Edouble and his tasteless , tactless opinion to thank for this scientific breakthrough.

From all of us, to you Edouble.
You have boldly gone where no man has gone before.

THANK YOU

I knew you had a cape! Nobody other than a keyboard hero would give that kind of judgment! And if you are not a cape wearing superhero than you forgot to take your medication today.

This is so flattering, two men fighting over me...........:scratch:

....no wait WAIT.... thats not what i meant...:er:

Wow, I X L R 8 , that's quite a way to come in as a new member, attacking someone who's been a member here for over a year. Take it easy, or your time here will be short.

Oh really? Is that the way it is?
Oh I'm sorry. I didn't know.

So let me get this straight.
It's perfectly acceptable for a member to make tasteless , classless comments in a completely tactless manner, to another gentleman who was obviously proud of his photos, or he wouldn't have posted them here.

But it's not ok for me to make a comment, on the comment/opinion, because I haven't been here as long as the member whose comment I commented , on.

Thanks for clearing that up and for the THREAT.

So let me get this straight.
It's perfectly acceptable for a member to make tasteless , classless comments in a completely tactless manner, to another gentleman who was obviously proud of his photos, or he wouldn't have posted them here.

Reread the OP. He asked which one he should enter, or if he shouldn't enter either. edoubles C&C was very typical of what you see on every internet photo forum. Brief, succinct and to the point, and in fact he ended on a note of encouragement. I read nothing tasteless or classless in it, and apparently, neither did the OP. It's just the way C&C works on teh internets. If you don't like that, leave.

But it's not ok for me to make a comment, on the comment/opinion, because I haven't been here as long as the member whose comment I commented , on.

Pretty much. Go spend some time at DPReview, or POTN, and then come back and apologize to edouble for thinking his critique was harsh.

Thanks for clearing that up and for the THREAT.

Not a threat at all, simply a warning that the mods here don't long tolerate your brand of hostility and you will be quickly banned if you can't learn to accept how things work and play nice.

Oh we can kiss up better than that , can't we?
What are you doing? Reporting me?
How old are we here?

I was under the impression that this was a grown up's forum.

What the hell is wrong with you?
You give an ultimatum and tell me to leave?
Are you even a moderator?

Here's what you should have said:

"Look you! You are a new member and I am an old member, you poo poo head, and if you don't shut up I'm telling!"

Umm, HIS CRITIQUE WAS HARSH.

You call this hostility?????????
lol

Come on man.
Your on the Internet and the world is smiling at you. You're a King.
Forgive me for not bowing.

If I had to choose one, I'd go with the photograph of the bee. The bee just jumps out at me as the more interesting photograph of the two. I think what lost me with the hummingbird is just that we are looking at his backside, though it does emphasize the wings that way.

Overall though, I don't think the bee will win for one reason... the sharpness is off. Nice composition, nice blurred background, a good job of capturing the moment... but focus and sharpness are crucial in this type of shot. By competition/contest standards, that one technical problem could really affect your chances.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to give it a shot... especially if entry is free. Personally though, I would recommend drawing from your more technically sound shots to increase your chances of winning.

To be fair if you have a feeder that that bird frequents I would be sitting out night and day trying to get a super awesome photo of it, don't stop trying just because you already have bunch of photos of it. If i was going to choose either it would definitely be the bird, which is a shame because the bee photo has a lot of potential.

I don't think either of them are strong photos, but I think #1 is more interesting because of the symmetry. I've seen a lot of photos like #2, and so not only is it kind of a cliche shot, yours is also not well lit.

Do you have to pay to submit work? If you do, then I'd suggest saving your money.

Umm, HIS CRITIQUE WAS HARSH.

You call this hostility?????????
lol

You think that was harsh? He didn't call the OP anything rude he was just being honest, calm down.

Your new so i will give you a chance to get to the know the forum, but if you fill peoples threads with accusations of other members you won't last long.
Also in future if someone upsets you, click the report post button, it saves having 2 pages of what seems like caffine induced anger. Thankyou.

To be fair if you have a feeder that that bird frequents I would be sitting out night and day trying to get a super awesome photo of it, don't stop trying just because you already have bunch of photos of it. If i was going to choose either it would definitely be the bird, which is a shame because the bee photo has a lot of potential.

No its a free entry contest. I have never gon into a contetst before and I just though it would be fun to try and see what happends. Again, it isn't really a pro photo contest or anything, and I have seen past winners and trust me they aren't picking the most amazing photo's or there wasn't a ton of good ones entered.

I appretiate everyones advice on the subject.. Seems I am still pretty much split down the middle. I agree the lighting on both sucked, but they were "catch it when you can, how ever you can" kinda pix. I don't have a feeder, it was at my dads place on the lake, and I don't get there often. Otherwise I would be at it more often.

The only think I don't really agree on is that the back side of the bird is boring. You see big birds stretch out thier wings like that, but really hounesly when is the last time you have ever seen a humming bird do that.

I think these are both nice images. I would clean up a little noise in #1, but other than that, it's a great shot! We have hummingbirds around here, so I understand that it was a difficult shot to get, considering they fly at the speed of light! hahaha good luck, and great shots!

Most reactions

Back