cc: Calder's La Grande Vitesse

m33kr0b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Was out taking some pictures of La Grande Vitesse this evening in Grand Rapids, MI. I was amazed with how they turned out and I would like to hear some feedback. I had to use higher exposure times to to really bad lighting, I think they turned out really neat. Just realized that my apeture was set to f/29.0 :) opps, still looks cool. La Grande Vitesse(known locally as the Calder) is the icon of Grand Rapids.

More info on the sculpture can be found here:

http://www.grpl.org/collections/grhsty_spcoll/exhibits/Calder/calder2.html

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

Last edited:
Not bad, I can't view the exif data due to the compression of the jpg I assume. Not to sure about that. I was just wondering what ISO you were using?

Here are some shots with better aperture settings. :) Also, the clouds broke a little so they look whispy.

IMG_1841.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

Not sure what to say. That thing is kinda ugly to me. It would probably have been nicer if shot in the day. They all appear to be a bit out of focus. Maybe its just my eyes. Not really much composition here. Just the ole line her up in the center of the viewfinder and click, click. You lost a lot of detail in your last photo with your flash. The bright, backlit backgrounds in #1 and #3 are distracting. I would like to see how this thing looks in the day with a shallower DOF. I find myself being more interested in the lens flares in #1 and #2 rather than the actual subject. BTW, what camera and lens was used for these shots? They kinda look like P&S shots.

Just my 2bit, newbie suggestions.

Maul,

No flash was used in any of these shots. I was using my digital rebel xti with the 18-55 kit lens. All the pictures were long exposures(some more than others because of my aperture opps) I will try it again and compose the shot a little differently. I will also try it sometime during the day if we get a blue sky anytime soon. Many thanks for your 2 bits :hail::hail::hail::hail:

Maul,
I will also try it sometime during the day if we get a blue sky anytime soon.

I'm in San Diego, CA and I am a bit sick of blue, sunny skies. Wanna trade skies sometime? :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back