CC ethics

Oops! This wasn't for me - removed - sorry jescordphoto. Quoted the wrong thing.

Last edited:
Do you have your own photo business?[/QUOTE]
Not a business per say, but I sell the odd piece here and there.[/QUOTE]

I was actually asking the other person who apparently sees no problem with being rude on somebodies business page

:biglaugh:I just realized that and printed a retraction. lol I'm typing with two kittens climbing on me.

social media is just that. social.
by its very nature it allows people, and even encourages them, to post things in a manner where other people can comment on it.
FB aside, even sites specifically designed for sharing photos like Flickr allow commenting.
if you start a social media page looking for only very specific comments to be made, you really should have some sort of message permanently posted right at the top of your page stating exactly what you want so people do not mistake it for you wanting just any old thoughts or suggestions.

the OP's "mistake" (and I personally don't see it as a mistake except on the page owners part) was to offer an honest opinion in a helpful manner. On a social media site designed for that exact sort of interaction! Had the page owner not overreacted and rage deleted her comments, but instead, accepted the comment in the spirit in which it was given, they might have simply sent a PM explaining the nature of their FB page and that they were only "like" farming and looking for high-fives instead of sending a nasty message.

You can't control what other people may say whether it's a business or not if it's on Facebook or any site that is interactive and allows comments and feedback to be posted.

I think someone would need to post on their own website and link to their social media pages if they want to manage comments or critique. I agree in a professional situation what's usually done would be to send the person a message instead of posting, and that would be a courteous way to handle it, but that isn't necessarily what happens on social media sites.

The person in this case seems to have reacted negatively to comments intended to be constructive and probably should have made clear that people were being invited to follow and view the photos but comments were not being requested.

I was actually asking the other person who apparently sees no problem with being rude on somebodies business page

Offering constructive feedback on content which was deliberately publicized on a social media site that facilitates this sort of interaction by its very nature is not rude.

Putting words in someone's mouth however...

Just because people may have 'free speech', doesn't mean they won't suffer consequences or backlash.

Using @jsecordphoto's example of a restaurant, if you loudly critique your appetizer, you may just get something else you didn't order in your main course.

You can be an outright bigot... but you won't have many friends.

It's a courtesy thing. If you want to loudly proclaim your critique of someone's work and claim free speech, that's fine, but don't expect to get away freely--you will likely have backlash against you, like having your comment removed and an angry message coming your way...

I wouldn't even bother giving a negative response back, I just delete the comment and move on. Like I said, I belong to a group on FB of just other professional-level landscape photographers strictly for critique, but I feel like it's rude for somebody to critique a photo on my business page- constructive or otherwise.

People that go around offering unsolicited critique must have a ton of free time, if I critiqued every photo on FB I saw that needed it I'd never have time to even shoot

by its very nature it allows people, and even encourages them, to post things in a manner where other people can comment on it.
FB aside, even sites specifically designed for sharing photos like Flickr allow commenting.
if you start a social media page looking for only very specific comments to be made, you really should have some sort of message permanently posted right at the top of your page stating exactly what you want so people do not mistake it for you wanting just any old thoughts or suggestions.

the OP's "mistake" (and I personally don't see it as a mistake except on the page owners part) was to offer an honest opinion in a helpful manner. On a social media site designed for that exact sort of interaction! Had the page owner not overreacted and rage deleted her comments, but instead, accepted the comment in the spirit in which it was given, they might have simply sent a PM explaining the nature of their FB page and that they were only "like" farming and looking for high-fives instead of sending a nasty message.

definitely disagreeing. The OP didn't understand how Facebook works and obviously some other folks here don't either. There are all kinds of pages and there is appropriate behavior that really isn't all that difficult to comprehend if someone actually does some thinking. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do something. Facebook wasn't even designed to provide your opinion on everything. Criticizing someone's image on a page that is promoting their small business isn't like expressing negative opinions on a news story or political issue. It's more like me going up to you in front of your friends and family and clients and saying how ugly your wife or child is and telling you what plastic surgery they should get so they would look "better". You may have the right to do that, but you really shouldn't. It's rude and unnecessary to embarrass people publicly. Particularly when no one asked for your opinion. People don't put disclaimers on their pages because it's generally not needed; the majority of people are smart enough to know the difference. Those that don't... well, there isn't a much bigger loser than a troll.

The point I was trying to make was that people who have artist pages on facebook, don't expect people to come there and tell them what is wrong with their photos art or whatever. The page is to display their art and gain a bit of recognition. By placing negative CC to something that is visible by the public, is in a way defacing that persons credibility. CC belongs in places like this, forums where people come to learn, not an artist page.

One wonders two things;

1) If this were a display of someones building, plastering or other skill for advertising and you saw a problem would it be wrong to comment? I've not even being silly and getting into the "life threatening" area, just a general common bog standard problem - would it be ok to comment then? If so why is art any different - why should it be more protected than any other skill?

2) Art in itself is based on the eye of the beholder - even with critical comments an artists skill and style should be able to sell still.

In my view the problem was that this public relations situation fell apart because of the photographer's aggressive response. Removing the comment is, in my view, ok; but it should have been responded to in a positive light. The photographer burned a bridge and whilst their facebook page is now "clean" of any potential disagreement with their perfection, they've lost a potential helping voice from someone willing to spend their free time to provide constructive feedback.

definitely disagreeing. The OP didn't understand how Facebook works and obviously some other folks here don't either. There are all kinds of pages and there is appropriate behavior that really isn't all that difficult to comprehend if someone actually does some thinking. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do something. Facebook wasn't even designed to provide your opinion on everything. Criticizing someone's image on a page that is promoting their small business isn't like expressing negative opinions on a news story or political issue. It's more like me going up to you in front of your friends and family and clients and saying how ugly your wife or child is and telling you what plastic surgery they should get so they would look "better". You may have the right to do that, but you really shouldn't. It's rude and unnecessary to embarrass people publicly. Particularly when no one asked for your opinion. People don't put disclaimers on their pages because it's generally not needed; the majority of people are smart enough to know the difference. Those that don't... well, there isn't a much bigger loser than a troll.

how FB works?
Facebook works by people posting something, and then getting comments/feedback on what they posted. which is exactly what happened. I would say the OP understood exactly how FB works, it was the other photographer who apparently did not.
the problem was not that a response was posted, but that the response was not the pat on the back the page owner was looking for.
the page owner took a comment from one photographer to another, trying to help them improve, with all the good will in the world, and basically threw it back in their face.
But lets just say, for the sake of this discussion, that you are right...Lets throw out both of our opinions on how FB works. is that page owner someone you would really want to do business with? someone who reacts to an act of kindness with vitriol and incivility? Someone who reacts with rage and hatred at the first sign they arent getting what they wanted?
whatever unspoken codes of conduct you feel the OP broke, they were not done so in a berating or rude manner, and thus did not deserve to be met with such.
Just because he could react by being a douchnozzle doesn't mean he should have.

how FB works?
Facebook works by people posting something, and then getting comments/feedback on what they posted. which is exactly what happened. I would say the OP understood exactly how FB works, it was the other photographer who apparently did not.
the problem was not that a response was posted, but that the response was not the pat on the back the page owner was looking for.
the page owner took a comment from one photographer to another, trying to help them improve, with all the good will in the world, and basically threw it back in their face.
But lets just say, for the sake of this discussion, that you are right...Lets throw out both of our opinions on how FB works. is that page owner someone you would really want to do business with? someone who reacts to an act of kindness with vitriol and incivility? Someone who reacts with rage and hatred at the first sign they arent getting what they wanted?
whatever unspoken codes of conduct you feel the OP broke, they were not done so in a berating or rude manner, and thus did not deserve to be met with such.
Just because he could react by being a douchnozzle doesn't mean he should have.

FB isn't quite that simple. I know too many people that don't even understand the difference between a personal profile and a page. Someone's business page isn't meant to be Yelp, and I can't believe that even needs explaining. A page isn't there to provide for trolls to have more to do. If you have something negative to say to someone, if you are trying to "help" you don't say it publicly. If I want to let you know you have bad breath or you forgot to zip your fly and you're showing more than you want to, I don't just announce it in front of everyone in the room. It's really just Manners 101 and FB and manners really don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Of course, we have only the OP's side. We don't see what he publicly posted that embarrassed the photographer. I do think his description here was a bit condescending. Everyone was new once, assuming the photographer really is new. We haven't seen the photo either. Photography is also subjective, and we may not all agree on the quality or supposed flaws in the image. But clearly the photographer was embarrassed by the OPs comment and felt it was out of line. I agree with that and have no problem with his objecting to someone publicly posting unrequested CC. OTOH, I would have a problem with working with the OP.

Most reactions

Back