CC ethics

But it's OK for restaurants isn't that one rule for one, one rule for another...?

It is that simple it's a Web page you have no control over. With the ability to leave a comment be that critical or not...

The choice is to use the medium or not!

social media is just that. social.
by its very nature it allows people, and even encourages them, to post things in a manner where other people can comment on it.
FB aside, even sites specifically designed for sharing photos like Flickr allow commenting.
if you start a social media page looking for only very specific comments to be made, you really should have some sort of message permanently posted right at the top of your page stating exactly what you want so people do not mistake it for you wanting just any old thoughts or suggestions.

the OP's "mistake" (and I personally don't see it as a mistake except on the page owners part) was to offer an honest opinion in a helpful manner. On a social media site designed for that exact sort of interaction! Had the page owner not overreacted and rage deleted her comments, but instead, accepted the comment in the spirit in which it was given, they might have simply sent a PM explaining the nature of their FB page and that they were only "like" farming and looking for high-fives instead of sending a nasty message.

definitely disagreeing. The OP didn't understand how Facebook works and obviously some other folks here don't either. There are all kinds of pages and there is appropriate behavior that really isn't all that difficult to comprehend if someone actually does some thinking. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do something. Facebook wasn't even designed to provide your opinion on everything. Criticizing someone's image on a page that is promoting their small business isn't like expressing negative opinions on a news story or political issue. It's more like me going up to you in front of your friends and family and clients and saying how ugly your wife or child is and telling you what plastic surgery they should get so they would look "better". You may have the right to do that, but you really shouldn't. It's rude and unnecessary to embarrass people publicly. Particularly when no one asked for your opinion. People don't put disclaimers on their pages because it's generally not needed; the majority of people are smart enough to know the difference. Those that don't... well, there isn't a much bigger loser than a troll.

how FB works?
Facebook works by people posting something, and then getting comments/feedback on what they posted. which is exactly what happened. I would say the OP understood exactly how FB works, it was the other photographer who apparently did not.
the problem was not that a response was posted, but that the response was not the pat on the back the page owner was looking for.
the page owner took a comment from one photographer to another, trying to help them improve, with all the good will in the world, and basically threw it back in their face.
But lets just say, for the sake of this discussion, that you are right...Lets throw out both of our opinions on how FB works. is that page owner someone you would really want to do business with? someone who reacts to an act of kindness with vitriol and incivility? Someone who reacts with rage and hatred at the first sign they arent getting what they wanted?
whatever unspoken codes of conduct you feel the OP broke, they were not done so in a berating or rude manner, and thus did not deserve to be met with such.
Just because he could react by being a douchnozzle doesn't mean he should have.

FB isn't quite that simple. I know too many people that don't even understand the difference between a personal profile and a page. Someone's business page isn't meant to be Yelp, and I can't believe that even needs explaining. A page isn't there to provide for trolls to have more to do. If you have something negative to say to someone, if you are trying to "help" you don't say it publicly. If I want to let you know you have bad breath or you forgot to zip your fly and you're showing more than you want to, I don't just announce it in front of everyone in the room. It's really just Manners 101 and FB and manners really don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Of course, we have only the OP's side. We don't see what he publicly posted that embarrassed the photographer. I do think his description here was a bit condescending. Everyone was new once, assuming the photographer really is new. We haven't seen the photo either. Photography is also subjective, and we may not all agree on the quality or supposed flaws in the image. But clearly the photographer was embarrassed by the OPs comment and felt it was out of line. I agree with that and have no problem with his objecting to someone publicly posting unrequested CC. OTOH, I would have a problem with working with the OP.

even if I agreed with your assessment on social media pages, it still does nothing to balm the fact that someone reacted to what was very obvious to anyone, a person clearly posting what they thought was just helpful information, with malice and condemnation. I understand if you disagree with the OP's supposed breach of FB protocol, and clearly it was a mistake by other peoples standards as well, but surely, as a person of reason and civility, you must be willing to admit the other persons reaction, embarrassed as they may or may not have been, was clearly out of line and over the top when a much more civil and adult response would have sufficed. In fact, I would go so far as to say that a tempered response could have gone a long way to facilitating a friendly and even mutually beneficial relationship between the two. Since you seem to believe the FB photographer is aware of the delicate subtleties of Facebook page etiquette, I submit that a polite message to the OP here explaining the differences between private and business pages, and how comments should differ between them, would have benefited both parties far better than what was done. The OP could have responded with a polite apology, and both could have continued unfettered by hurt feelings.
As it stands, not only did neither of them benefit from the exchange, but worse, feelings were hurt where it was totally unnecessary to do so.
All im really getting at here is that a little civility could have gone a long way.
maybe the OP here was ignorant of proper FB etiquette... people make mistakes, or don't always know how things work. The response though was not born of ignorance, but of anger, and was deliberately hateful. To me, that is far worse than a simple mistake trying to help.

I commented on the image complementing him and mentioning that I thought this particular image was the strongest of the set. Since he is a beginner photographer I thought I would offer some support and point out what I mentioned above, since it's an easy fix.

Complementing him, mentioning you thought it was the strongest of the set, offering some support? RUDE DUDE!

How dare you not read the FB personal page etiquette. :BangHead::spank:

People.....It's Facebook for heavens sake. Who really gives a Rats @$$.

pixmedic said:
even if I agreed with your assessment on social media pages, it still does nothing to balm the fact that someone reacted to what was very obvious to anyone, a person clearly posting what they thought was just helpful information, with malice and condemnation. I understand if you disagree with the OP's supposed breach of FB protocol, and clearly it was a mistake by other peoples standards as well, but surely, as a person of reason and civility, you must be willing to admit the other persons reaction, embarrassed as they may or may not have been, was clearly out of line and over the top when a much more civil and adult response would have sufficed. In fact, I would go so far as to say that a tempered response could have gone a long way to facilitating a friendly and even mutually beneficial relationship between the two. Since you seem to believe the FB photographer is aware of the delicate subtleties of Facebook page etiquette, I submit that a polite message to the OP here explaining the differences between private and business pages, and how comments should differ between them, would have benefited both parties far better than what was done. The OP could have responded with a polite apology, and both could have continued unfettered by hurt feelings.
As it stands, not only did neither of them benefit from the exchange, but worse, feelings were hurt where it was totally unnecessary to do so.
All im really getting at here is that a little civility could have gone a long way.
maybe the OP here was ignorant of proper FB etiquette... people make mistakes, or don't always know how things work. The response though was not born of ignorance, but of anger, and was deliberately hateful. To me, that is far worse than a simple mistake trying to help.

Who knew you were such an Emily Post, and such a talented writer?

pixmedic said:

Who knew you were such an Emily Post, and such a talented writer?
late-night-moon-waving-goodbye-smiley-emoticon.gif
Ohh.....Ohhh....Ohhhh........I did, I did!!!!!!

People.....It's Facebook for heavens sake. Who really gives a Rats @$$.

Social media is a HUGE part of my business, so I for one care. Other than my business page I couldn't care less about FB.

And yes, clearly the person the OP critiqued overreacted.

I won't give public CC unless specifically asked for it. To me same rules apply even on forums (but I post to forums for the CC). Yes social media is a form for interaction between people, as has been stated. Doesn't mean you have to give the CC publicly. Provide it via a message to the person/page. I am sure they would have taken it more on board and it actually would have been of use. For me my Facebook business page is an advertising medium. So no I would not appreciate it made on a public post either.

I only read the first page of this thread, so there might be something I missed in the middle, but my general mindset is that if I post here on a forum, I expect C&C, as should everyone else. This is where we come to learn and teach. As a general rule, I don't comment on Facebook unless they specifically ask. Simply because everyone is wayyyy too sensitive. Everyone gets upset by something. It's exhausting and all too common. But that's characteristic of Generation Y and (moreso) Z.

Money isn't the root of all evil anymore. Attention and popularity are.

Last edited:
Simply because there are too many <edit>. Everyone gets upset by something. It's exhausting and all too common. But that's characteristic of Generation Y and (moreso) Z.
:rolleyes-39: Please. Overreaction as a defense is a characteristic of a human being, whether 20 or 90.

Also, you may want to watch your language on here.

Simply because there are too many <edit>. Everyone gets upset by something. It's exhausting and all too common. But that's characteristic of Generation Y and (moreso) Z.
:rolleyes-39: Please. Overreaction as a defense is a characteristic of a human being, whether 20 or 90.

Also, you may want to watch your language on here.

It's the amount and nature of things that are different. Generally the older folks take comments more objectively. Younger generations, EVERYTHING is taken personally.

Edited my post. You're right.

............... Money isn't the root of all evil anymore..........
It never was. It's the "love of" money that's the root of all evil.

And 100% of family & friends on Facebook can't be wrong............ we're ALL wonderful, professional photographers!! LOL!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

............... Money isn't the root of all evil anymore..........
It never was. It's the "love of" money that's the root of all evil.

And 100% of family & friends on Facebook can't be wrong............ we're ALL wonderful, professional photographers!! LOL!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I'm going to suggest that putting CC on someone's Facebook page is not best practice.

Giving CC in this forum is fine - it is a forum specifically for the purpose and photographers who put their work here understand that people will point out their opinions or ways to improve their technique.

Facebook, however, is a different arena altogether. Many photographers use Facebook as a business page in order to get their photos into the public domain and as a way to generate business and attract new clients. They won't want you pointing out their mistakes there as all their potential customers will see it. If you must do it on Facebook do it in a private message, never in the comments section of an image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back